• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement dragging out/lawyer not responding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scadv

I am in SC.

My girlfriend was in an auto accident 6 months ago; not her fault, other driver admitted fault to police.

Got a lawyer to deal with the settlement with the other drivers insurance company.

Medical care stopped 3 months ago. (the lawyer set up agreements with doctor/chiro/pharmacy)

Lawyer is non-responsive or very slow to respond to questions about progress.
Actually only his assistant ever responds.... havent spoken to the actual lawyer since first meeting...

They claim they are waiting on medical bills, and even asked her to contact the hospital to get them!!
They claim they havent received bills that the doctor has sent twice already.

It takes days for them to respond to calls.

They have not responded at all to some emails and calls.

What recourse does she have?

We dont want this drug out; we just want a fair settlement and the lawyer to do his job...

How would we switch lawyers at this point? Can another lawyer come in and "buy him out" for lack of a better word??

How should we proceed to get this handled correctly?

Thanks

Mass_Shyster

Insurance companies drag their feet when it comes to settling. They know the longer they wait, the more desperate the victim becomes. There's really nothing you can do to speed things up, and your attorney knows that.

In the world of insurance companies, six months in not a long time at all.

scadv

The problem isnt the Insurance company at the moment.

He hasnt even sent in everything to the insurance company to start negotiating the settlement! and this is 3 months after medical care has ceased.

His assistant claims they are waiting on medical bills, and asked us to help them get the bills from the hospital..... is this not their job??
Is this not what they are being paid to do??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The problem isnt the Insurance company at the moment.

He hasnt even sent in everything to the insurance company to start negotiating the settlement! and this is 3 months after medical care has ceased.

His assistant claims they are waiting on medical bills, and asked us to help them get the bills from the hospital..... is this not their job??
Is this not what they are being paid to do??
You're right - you should FORCE them to spend more of your money...to the tune of at least $200 per hour...chasing down things that you could easily obtain.

scadv

The level of unprofessionalism is ridiculous. 5 business days to return calls.. (its not like we call every week... or even every month..)
Lost emails (had to send one 4 times), lost records, etc... lots more than just the hospital billing issue....

3 months after all medical procedures were finished they hadnt even requested records from 2 of the doctors.

Zigner

The level of unprofessionalism is ridiculous. 5 business days to return calls.. (its not like we call every week... or even every month..)
Lost emails (had to send one 4 times), lost records, etc... lots more than just the hospital billing issue....

3 months after all medical procedures were finished they hadnt even requested records from 2 of the doctors.
At this point, it seems you're only here to rant. Good luck with your case!

scadv

At this point, it seems you're only here to rant. Good luck with your case!

No, only pointing out more of the problem and trying to fully explain the situation.

If you look at my first post I asked what the best course of action would be if we wanted a new attorney.

You simply stated that we should do his job for him, and never once directly answered any of my questions...

Zigner

Your solution thus far seems to be to stamp your feet and scream "I don't wanna..." when asked to assist in your own case.

scadv

Your solution thus far seems to be to stamp your feet and scream "I don't wanna..." when asked to assist in your own case.
And lawyers wonder why people dislike them... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, your posts have been very professional & informative.

By the way, we have obtained well over 70% of the records, this is after he claimed his office would take care of obtaining & reconciling all the bills and info.

So, not even trying to obtain records after 3 months isnt unprofessional??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When thats their job and I make $300/h+.... yeah
Did your girlfriend sign all necessary and appropriate releases with the hospital? Why doesn't YOUR GIRLFRIEND follow up on this and get the records? That way if she hand delivers them then she KNOWS the attorney has them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

How are they supposed to request the records? Has your girlfriend signed all releases with the doctors and hospitals?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">