• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement - Legal Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMos

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
I've filed suit with the PHRC/EEOC for discrimination based on gender and age. If I agree to settle before the fact-finding hearing, can I state I want $X plus the respondent has to pay my legal fees directly to the attorney?

Either way, are the fees I have to pay my attorney taxable income to me?

Can anyone advise regarding current law and tax matters? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can ask for anything you want. Doesn't mean you'll get it.

I'll defer to someone else on the tax issues.

Last edited:

pattytx

I don't have my trusty dusty Payroll Bible with me at home. I'll try to post back tomorrow from work. I may need more information from you, so stand by.

pattytx

Well, there seems to be some ambiguity about whether or not the IRS considers such settlements "back pay"-type payments and, as such, taxable. It may end up depending upon how the settlement is characterized, e.g. XXX for back wages, YYY for punitive damages, ZZZ for attorney and court costs.

Relative to the attorney's fees, I'm assuming your attorney is working on contingency. To the best of my knowledge, the gross settlement is what you have to pay taxes on (if at all), not the net proceeds.

It would be a good idea to post this in the Tax Law Forum. Or just see your personal tax advisor, or get one, especially if you think you're going to win and the settlement may be substantial.

JMos

Original Poster - to PattiTX

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR RESPONDING!!
My attorney IS working on contingency (33%) and I'm quite anxious to be prepared to discuss settlement (minimum) in an up-coming meeting.

I WILL post this on the tax forum as well, to see what the experts there have to say!

Thanks again!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">