• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement of small claims decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjbdpb5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I won a small claims decision in Colorado. The appellant has appealed and posted the requisite bond. I have two questions: 1) if we settle the case before appeal decision, is the original judgment vacated? 2) if the appellant retracts the appeal, what happens to the bond? To whom is it returned to, the appellant or me?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I won a small claims decision in Colorado. The appellant has appealed and posted the requisite bond. I have two questions: 1) if we settle the case before appeal decision, is the original judgment vacated? 2) if the appellant retracts the appeal, what happens to the bond? To whom is it returned to, the appellant or me?
When there is an appeal, the judgment is not vacated but rather it is secured by the bond during the appeals process.

The release of the bond is by direction of the court, whatever that direction might be.

If a settlement is reached at any time, and when all terms of the settlement are satisfied, a satisfaction of judgment should be signed and filed with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">