• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Several Questions..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



1.when do you start subpenaing witnesses for a case?
2.When do you say you want a bench trial, jury, or whatever?
3.If you can prove the cities only other witness (besides you)lies, and did lie on police report, will they have to drop charges-dv/malicious mischief.
4.if they charge you with DV, but you explain that your actions were not intended to be "abusive or threatening" and you just had alot of stress and broke things, does that matter at all?
5.How do you ask for more time before a trial?
6.how long is it usually between pre-trial and trial?
7.if you told them at first you would be representing yourself, and changed your mind and got a lawyer, is that ok? even if you've already did a discovery demand?
8.What do you do if you are charged with DV, but feel like you were a victim of it, and were trying to get AWAY from the perpetrator, or get them to keep from liking you so they wouldn't try to hurt you for breaking up with them by trying to make you jealous or other tactics. Say you actually scare them on purpose only so they would quit playing mind games with you?
9.If you get a public defender, do you have a better chance of getting work out of him/her if you offer to pay them some money, or can you?

I think thats all for now, thanks. :)



1. Check the Criminal Rules of Procedure in your state.
2. Ditto. You can change your mind up to the cutoff tme.
3. No. Credibility determinations are for the judge/jury to decide. However, the prosecutor may decide she can't win the case with such an impeachable witness.
4. Only if no reasonable victim would have found your actions 'abusive or threatening.' Since you broke things, no.
5. Request a continuance and waive your speedy trial rights.
6. 60 days to 1 year, depending on continuances and docket congestion.
7. Yes. Your lawyer can amend the discovery demand.
8. That'a a stupid defense. It admits that you were trying to scare the victim, then asks the jury to find that the victim shouldn't have been scared.
9. That's illegal. Aren't you in enough trouble already?

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential