• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severance pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mingers

What is the name of your state??What is the name of your state? Kansas My employer informed me that my position was being eliminated, They offered me a contract stating that I would recieve a weeks severerance for every year of service,(5 weeks),and a retention bonus if I would stay until the end of the year,which I intend to do. I agreed and signed the contract.Since then I got an offer from another company, Three days after I told my current employer about this offer, they said that they changed their minds and wanted me to stay at my current position. I told them that I would like to take a week to think about it.After that time I decided that I would stay until the end of the year, but after that I would be taking the position with the other company.Now they are telling me that if I stay until the end of the year I will recieve my retention bonus but I will not recieve my severance pay! Because they offered me continuing employment. Is this legal? I feel that since I am satisfying the terms of the contract I should recieve both my severance and retention.Thank you for your reply Mingers

BelizeBreeze

The plain language of the contract is all that matters in this situation. Although I tend to agree with you, the only way to get a legally valid opinion is to take the contract to a local employment attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">