• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Policy (or not ?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmartz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

The VP of a division from my company has stated in an email to me that the company has a severance policy of 1 weeks [pay] for every year of completed service with the company. It continues to state that part of the basis for severance will be based on the reasons someone leaves the company. Each situation is individual. The company tried to find a position for me after the contract that I was on had a reduction in force. After they could not find a position for me they laid me off. The VP has now himself left the company and the new VP or manager now states to me he is not aware of any severance policy. Do I have a right to severance pay ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under the law, no. Severance is not required by law in VA (or in most other states, or in any state under the circumstances you describe).

You are free to show the e-mail to a Virginia attorney and see whether or not it constitutes a legally binding contract. However, given that the e-mail states that it's handled on a case by case basis, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">