• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severe tinnitus after dentist installed crown

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lodom

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I really would some advice in this situation. I went to my Dentist in early Sept to have a crown installed on my upper left molar. During the procedure I noted a large amount of vibration transmitted to my left ear canal. I tried to raise my hand to get the dentists attention, but he didn't see me. As soon as the grinding began the vibration transmitted to my ear canal my tinnitus elevated to a level I've never experienced. The dentist commented twice to his assistant about the bit needing to be changed while he was grinding, implying it was becoming dull. He never changed the bit. The drilling seemed to take longer than the last time he installed a crown. I left the office and took a large dose of valium hoping my hearing would be better in the morning.

I have experienced high frequency hearing loss and resultant tinnitus in both ears since 1993, and my previous hearing test in 2001 revealed both ears to be about equal in loss. I went to a Dr the following week who prescribed a prednisone regiment and a refill of the Valium, but it only relieved the tinnitus for one day. Normally, after noise exposure my tinnitus goes back to a manageable low level with my right ear ringing louder than my left in a few days, but doesn’t interfere with my life. This time it hasn't happened. Now my left ear rings about 3X louder than my right and is unbearable. I went to the Dentist's office about 3 weeks ago and discussed the situation with him. The reason I waited so long is because I was hoping the situation would get better. He appeared genuinely concerned, but said he'd never heard of this happening before. He also said he should refrain from making comments about items like changing dental bits in front of patients. I told him I would visit an ENT the following week to have my hearing tested again.

The results of the test showed a 5-15 db greater loss in my left ear than my right, when compared to the 2001 test. The ENT said it wasn't uncommon for this type of situation to occur, but commented the hearing usually returns to normal. He recommended hearing aids, and said they might provide some relief. Well, after 3 months appears the ringing has not reduced and appears to be permanent, and close to debilitating. I've gone to a MD who prescribed Xanax XR at my request, since it is one of the drugs that are supposed to relieve the symptoms, but it hasn't worked. I unable to adjust to the noise, have difficulty concentrating, under considerable stress and anxiety, and having difficulty getting to sleep without meds, since the visit to the dentist.

The dentist never asked me to update any medical information, and was unaware of my tinnitus and hearing loss before performing the treatment.

I’m wondering if there is some negligence on his part for not changing the bit, and causing this problem. I had another crown installed on the upper right by him a year prior to this and had no problems.

Is there any thing I can do legally, or I’m I just out of luck with a situation like this? I can’t prove the tinnitus, since nobody hears it but me, but it’s made my life a living hell.

Sorry for the long note, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could.

Thank you.

barry1817

ringing in ear

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I really would some advice in this situation. I went to my Dentist in early Sept to have a crown installed on my upper left molar. During the procedure I noted a large amount of vibration transmitted to my left ear canal. I tried to raise my hand to get the dentists attention, but he didn't see me. As soon as the grinding began the vibration transmitted to my ear canal my tinnitus elevated to a level I've never experienced. The dentist commented twice to his assistant about the bit needing to be changed while he was grinding, implying it was becoming dull. He never changed the bit. The drilling seemed to take longer than the last time he installed a crown. I left the office and took a large dose of valium hoping my hearing would be better in the morning.

I have experienced high frequency hearing loss and resultant tinnitus in both ears since 1993, and my previous hearing test in 2001 revealed both ears to be about equal in loss. I went to a Dr the following week who prescribed a prednisone regiment and a refill of the Valium, but it only relieved the tinnitus for one day. Normally, after noise exposure my tinnitus goes back to a manageable low level with my right ear ringing louder than my left in a few days, but doesn’t interfere with my life. This time it hasn't happened. Now my left ear rings about 3X louder than my right and is unbearable. I went to the Dentist's office about 3 weeks ago and discussed the situation with him. The reason I waited so long is because I was hoping the situation would get better. He appeared genuinely concerned, but said he'd never heard of this happening before. He also said he should refrain from making comments about items like changing dental bits in front of patients. I told him I would visit an ENT the following week to have my hearing tested again.

The results of the test showed a 5-15 db greater loss in my left ear than my right, when compared to the 2001 test. The ENT said it wasn't uncommon for this type of situation to occur, but commented the hearing usually returns to normal. He recommended hearing aids, and said they might provide some relief. Well, after 3 months appears the ringing has not reduced and appears to be permanent, and close to debilitating. I've gone to a MD who prescribed Xanax XR at my request, since it is one of the drugs that are supposed to relieve the symptoms, but it hasn't worked. I unable to adjust to the noise, have difficulty concentrating, under considerable stress and anxiety, and having difficulty getting to sleep without meds, since the visit to the dentist.

The dentist never asked me to update any medical information, and was unaware of my tinnitus and hearing loss before performing the treatment.

I’m wondering if there is some negligence on his part for not changing the bit, and causing this problem. I had another crown installed on the upper right by him a year prior to this and had no problems.

Is there any thing I can do legally, or I’m I just out of luck with a situation like this? I can’t prove the tinnitus, since nobody hears it but me, but it’s made my life a living hell.

Sorry for the long note, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could.

Thank you.

Have never heard of the problem, but the noise from the drill, and the conductivity of the bone, to amplify the sound might be more likely the cause, and there would be little that one could do to treat you without the use of the drill.

The burr being a little dull would affect speed of cutting, which I guess one could make the argument that the drill noise was then longer.

Sorry you are having such problems

[email protected]

Ozark_Sophist

A three second google search found:

Valium Withdrawal Symptoms May Include:
Valium Withdrawal Symptoms May Include: abdominal pains, aching, agoraphobia, anxiety, blurred vision, body vibrations, changes in perception, diarrhea, distended abdomen, feeling of unreality, flu-like symptoms, flatulence, food cravings, hair loss, heart palpitations, heavy limbs, increased allergies, increased sense of smell, insomnia, lethargy, loss of balance, metallic taste, muscle spasms, nightmares, panic attacks, paranoia, persistent & unpleasant memories, severe headaches, shaking, short term memory loss, sore mouth and tongue, sound & light sensitivity, speech difficulties, sweating, suicidal thoughts, tinnitus, unusually sensitive,fear
It is more likely your tinnitus is a side effect and/or withdrawal symptom of your valium use. You have no case.

source: http://www.labelmesane.com/drug_info/valium-withdrawal.htm

ecmst12

While I find it a LOT more likely that the hearing damage and tinnitus is due to the drill than any medication, it doesn't sound like the drill was used in a negligent manner causing the damage. A newer drill bit would have made the same amount of noise (so says Barry the dentist) and probably would not have gotten the job done significantly faster. You experienced the damage because you were already vulnerable due to your history of hearing problems. In order for the dentist to be liable for your injury, he would have had to have been negligent in your treatment, meaning he did not meet the standard of care in treating you. It does not appear that this was the case, so there was no malpractice.

what the heck!@

Let me make sure I have this right!!! You have a history of Tinnitus in both ears for years and hearing loss and it progressed at the same time you hada crown put on so its the dentists fault? are you kidding me?

Ozark_Sophist

While I find it a LOT more likely that the hearing damage and tinnitus is due to the drill than any medication, it doesn't sound like the drill was used in a negligent manner causing the damage. A newer drill bit would have made the same amount of noise (so says Barry the dentist) and probably would not have gotten the job done significantly faster. You experienced the damage because you were already vulnerable due to your history of hearing problems. In order for the dentist to be liable for your injury, he would have had to have been negligent in your treatment, meaning he did not meet the standard of care in treating you. It does not appear that this was the case, so there was no malpractice.
Valium use and tinnitus predate dental visit.

mike_lee

instead of trying to sue the dentist go back to him and tell him your problem. There are several reasons why a dental visit could cause tinnitus, both easily treatable.

1.An ear infection or fluid buildup and differences l/r ear fluid pressire.
2.Or, a type of jaw misalignment.

Never admit to taking drugs you see what it does to any chance of fairness or empathy.

ecmst12

Valium use and tinnitus predate dental visit.
Yes, and NOISE EXPOSURE is the single most common cause of tinnitus. Once you start having it, you become more susceptible to noise making the problem worse. Same with sensorineural (noise induced) hearing loss. And chronologically speaking, he noticed the worsening tinnitus immediately after the visit and before taking the "large dose of valium", which he in fact took in order to cope with the tinnitus. I don't think the problem would be proving that the drill caused the tinnitus to worsen, the problem is that there was no negligence associated with the use of the drill.

lodom

I would like to thank everyone for their replies and suggestions! I only took the valium to relieve the extreme anxiety caused by the noise and increased hearing loss. I don't take it daily, but only when the tinnitus is at an unbearable level, which it was that day. The valium was only prescribed for tinnitus relief by my regular MD years ago, and I only take it to relieve the anxiety caused when the tinnitus is elevated, like it was that day. I was generally ok until the procedure. I'm very protective of my hearing and wear protection when using any power equipment or around any loud music, or avoid the situation all together. I don't have the same level of tolerance the average indidual has for loud noises. A noise that might be loud to someone with normal hearing might not have any adverse effects, but may make my ears ring for a period of time. Unfortunately, this time the period seems permanent.

The established procedure for drilliing acccording to the ATA, American Tinnitus Association, is 5 seconds on and 10 seconds off, and using this procedure they report few problems in people with hearing loss. I found this out too late or would have mentioned it to the dentist. The problem in this case, is the longer amount of time exposure to the vibration of the drill, since the bit was dull and he may have been applying more pressure to get it to cut. I didn't expect any conductivity when the right crown a year prior didn't have any consequences, but the bit was probably newer. Hearing loss is based on sound level and duration of exposure. If the bit was not dull, like he admitted, I doubt I would be in the position I'm in.

If he would have changed the bit insetead of admitting it was dull 2 or more times, it would have cut smoother and faster, and I probably would be ok now.

From what you said, I can't prove anything, only that I had a preexisiting condition that he had no knowledge of and intensified by his treatment and ignorance of proper procedures to drill on patients.

I realize this is an unusual case, and I think ecmst12 provided the unfortunate answer I was expecting.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:

Robert Harrill

Deafness after having dental proceedure done

I see this is has already been discussed but it just happened to me, too. I went in to have a tooth filling repaired yesterday. It was filled the day before but when my feeling came back I could feel that my teeth weren't even. After he repaired it and grinded it down (yes, it vibrated a lot and was very noisy) it felt fine when I left the dr's office. When I woke up this am it felt/sounded like I had a cork in my right ear and it was ringing like crazy (still is). I went into a hearing aid place and they tested my hearing and they said they were both pretty bad. My left ear has been declining for some years, but now BOTH ears are well below normal. Is there anything I can do besides wait this out? I've tried ginko and potassium, which seemed to help a bit, but I still can't hear much out of my right ear, which fluxuates to my heart beat.
THanks!!!

ecmst12

Don't hijack other people's threads, especially from years ago. Start your own thread if you have a question.

Robert Harrill

Ringing in ears after dental work

The reason I posted on this link was because I have a similar problem as the one already posted. Since I'm not actually looking for money (really), but want a solution to the problem, I guess this was the wrong place to post anyway...nevermind.

cmih

I just want to chime in on this. I've had tinnitus for years. I try to avoid loud noises because I know they will further damage my hearing. Today I just had the worse dental experience of my life today. I went to see a dentist to start the procedure of getting a crown put on one of my teeth. When he started the drilling/burring to remove the old tooth the sound was excruciatingly loud. I mean unbelievably loud. The sound was transmitting through the bone to my hears. I complained about it and told him how painful it was. I made him stop a few times. Now I am so angry with myself I could kick myself. I knew, I mean I just knew the noise had to be damaging my hearing, but I didn't stop the procedure. I wish I had just said, "Stop, I'm not doing this." and left. Now I can look forward to further hearing loss and worse tinnitus. I already know this will happen. I am so angry and depressed right now I am just beside myself.

quincy

Cmih, this thread is originally from 2007. The original poster is no longer around to benefit from additional comments.

Old threads are in the archives for reference purposes only. If you have a current legal issue that needs addressing, however, you are welcome to start your own thread.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">