• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgood21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My son is a registered non-violent sex offender, felony carnel knowledge w/o force was his crime. The offenses occured when he was 17 and just barely 18, not even out of high school. The victim was a girlfriend age 13, whose parents allowed the relationship to develop. The district attorney would not reduce charges even with a agreement of more jail time, he only got a month. Yet a 30 something neighbor recently was charged with 5 counts of aggravated sexual assault of an adult and forceable sodomy of a 14 year old. He was granted a plea agreement to mis-demenor charges and does not have to register as a sex offender by the same county court as my son. Is there justice here? I think not! If anyone should have been given the plea it should have been to the non-violent crime. Would it do us any good to hire an attorney,which we really can't afford, to fight this in-justice? Or better yet any attorney's want to do a pro-bono to show this country that there are attorney's who want to do what's right for the people.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Fight what? Your son has already been through the process.

With that said, on to the commentary...

Why are you protecting your pedophile, child rapist son?

ETA:
On second thought...YES - find an attorney! Find a group of outraged citizens! Fight the injustice that was done when the 30-something year old neighbor was allowed to reduce his crime!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My son is a registered non-violent sex offender, felony carnel knowledge w/o force was his crime. The offenses occured when he was 17 and just barely 18, not even out of high school. The victim was a girlfriend age 13, whose parents allowed the relationship to develop. The district attorney would not reduce charges even with a agreement of more jail time, he only got a month. Yet a 30 something neighbor recently was charged with 5 counts of aggravated sexual assault of an adult and forceable sodomy of a 14 year old. He was granted a plea agreement to mis-demenor charges and does not have to register as a sex offender by the same county court as my son. Is there justice here? I think not! If anyone should have been given the plea it should have been to the non-violent crime. Would it do us any good to hire an attorney,which we really can't afford, to fight this in-justice? Or better yet any attorney's want to do a pro-bono to show this country that there are attorney's who want to do what's right for the people.

bgood21

It is not rape when it is consensual, she admitted in the police report of advancing on him, he was immature and made a bad choice. I defend him because he is my son, not a pedifile. Misdeamnor charges would have been fair, not felonies!

Silverplum

It is not rape when it is consensual, she admitted in the police report of advancing on him, he was immature and made a bad choice. I defend him because he is my son, not a pedifile. Misdeamnor charges would have been fair, not felonies!
The flaw in your, er, "logic" is that a child is not legally (or otherwise) capable of giving consent.

Zigner

Your ADULT child is a convicted pedophile/child rapist. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

HomeGuru

**A: you should have continued your school education.

bgood21

This is my son's charge, referring to it as consensual came from section C. She was over 13.

§ 18.2-63. Carnal knowledge of child between thirteen and fifteen years of age.

A. If any person carnally knows, without the use of force, a child thirteen years of age or older but under fifteen years of age, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
C. For the purposes of this section, (i) a child under the age of thirteen years shall not be considered a consenting child.

I simply think it is wrong not because it was my son that situations like this are considered as sex offender worthy. Take time to visit Ricky's Life and do a little research to see just how far out of control these laws are.

Silverplum

This is my son's charge, referring to it as consensual came from section C. She was over 13.

A. If any person carnally knows, without the use of force, a child thirteen years of age or older but under fifteen years of age, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
C. For the purposes of this section, (i) a child under the age of thirteen years shall not be considered a consenting child.

I simply think it is wrong not because it was my son that situations like this are considered as sex offender worthy. Take time to visit Ricky's Life and do a little research to see just how far out of control these laws are.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm not here to "do a little research."

Zigner

I was going to remove your link...but I think it provides a good point.

YOUR SON is a convicted CHILD MOLESTER!
Or are you trying to say he didn't KNOW she was 13? :rolleyes:

Zigner

And, just to be thorough...whatsay we post the whole section, k?

B. If any person carnally knows, without the use of force, a child thirteen years of age or older but under fifteen years of age who consents to sexual intercourse and the accused is a minor and such consenting child is three years or more the accused's junior, the accused shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. If such consenting child is less than three years the accused's junior, the accused shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

In calculating whether such child is three years or more a junior of the accused minor, the actual dates of birth of the child and the accused, respectively, shall be used.

C. For the purposes of this section, (i) a child under the age of thirteen years shall not be considered a consenting child and (ii) "carnal knowledge" includes the acts of sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, anilingus, anal intercourse, and animate and inanimate object sexual penetration.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-44; 1960, c. 358; 1972, c. 394; 1975, cc. 14, 15, 606; 1981, c. 397; 1993, c. 852; 2007, c. 718.)

ETA: It's pretty clear your son is guilty of AT LEAST a class 6 FELONY!

Sir/Madam, I can only share with you the realities that my brother saw in Texas, as he too has been through this process, with us, his family, with him.

He plead No Contest to a felony charge involving his then 15 year old girlfriend, while he was 17. He received 7 years probation, and a lifetime registration as a sex offender.

He too saw, after-the-fact, that others were given less severe registration requirements, with those being well over 18 and their child victims being younger than 15.

After consulting an attorney, the advice was this; he had already completed the entire process of probation, sex offender treatment program, and everything else he was required to complete. The process is over.

Most state Supreme Courts are not willing to relieve a person required to register from that duty to register, even if the victim recants their story. There isn't one single Judge sitting on that panel that is willing to risk their career and reputation by signing off on an order relieving a person of that duty, only to learn some time later that another offense has been committed.

While sex offender laws are terrific, they also compromise the lives of those who, such as your son, are in a relationship while both are underage. With your son being 17, and his girlfriend still just 13, the law recognizes that while your son can consent to sex, the 13-year old girlfriend cannot. Google your state's age of consent.

I was surprised to see the responses you got from what I thought were professionals here to offer legal advice, when after posting my thread, I pretty much got the same thing. I am beginning to question whether or not anyone here really has any legal background at all, other than being to Google things themselves, and then post the results of their search on here.

Given that, the best you can do for your son now, is let the public be aware of what is going on in the District Attorney's office regarding giving real sex offenders a light hand, so that the D.A. can be replaced at next election.

My brother has had a very rough time with being registered, so I understand your plight. For those that really deserve to be imprisoned for heinous crimes such as these, I completely agree with the sex offender laws. For the boyfriend/girlfriend scenario, I do not, unless there was violence of any kind, or force.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">