• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sex offender...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zengurl72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Im a single mother with 2 children ages 16 and 12. I signed a one year rental agreement in february 2008. In june, my place was broken into and robbed along with 3 other places. Luckily I had renters insurance and my stuff was replaced. There have been several drug busts and fights in the park as well. Last week a registered repeat sex offender moved in next door and yesterday the police were here questioning us about a car that was stolen across the street. Enough is enough. I called the property manager and he stated that I signed a lease and that he would have to talk to the owner to see what he could do about breaking my lease but he didnt think I could. He also said that he didnt own the trailer next door so there was nothing he could do. Do I have a legal right to break my lease if I fear for my safety as well as my childrens? Is there anything I can do? I dont even allow my children out of the house unless Im right there with them....Help!!!

Signed,
BJ

The property manager doesnt own the trailer but they do rent the lot.....dont know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Move.

And if the landlord sues you for breaking the lease, take all your documentation to court.

I don't know if you will win or lose.

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Im a single mother with 2 children ages 16 and 12. I signed a one year rental agreement in february 2008. In june, my place was broken into and robbed along with 3 other places. Luckily I had renters insurance and my stuff was replaced. There have been several drug busts and fights in the park as well. Last week a registered repeat sex offender moved in next door and yesterday the police were here questioning us about a car that was stolen across the street. Enough is enough. I called the property manager and he stated that I signed a lease and that he would have to talk to the owner to see what he could do about breaking my lease but he didnt think I could. He also said that he didnt own the trailer nest door so there was nothing he could do. Do I have a legal right to break my lease if I fear for my safety as well as my childerns? Is there anything I can do? I dont even allow my children out of the house unless Im right there with them....Help!!!

Signed,
BJ
Unless the landlord is culpable, facilitating, or somehow negligent in the crime, crime in itself is not a lawful reason to terminate a lease without penalty.

The same is true for sex offender neighbors.

FarmerJ

I agree that your LL is not responsible for crime in your area. Part of shopping for a rental can include checking a address & street name to see what kind of crimes have been reported in a area. ALSO you can search your state govt web page links to learn if there is a published guideline that list a sex offenders risk assessment, or at least learn more of the exact nature of the offenders charges. Your state govt web page links should be able to tell you when/if community notification was required. You are free to negotiate a early end to your lease , but that doesnt mean this situation wont pop up again at a new place. IF you must stay learn if your state requires all 911 calls placed from any cell phone to be connected even if the phone does not have any kind of account If so then start asking every one you know if they might have a cell phone that you can give to your kids for 911 use. If you must move then do all you can to leave your unit so clean its not funny , the idea is to leave it spotless so when its shown to a prospective replacement renter they are so impressed they want it ASAP so the amount of vacant time you will have to pay for is kept to a minimum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">