• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexist remarks from upper management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SisMidnight

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I work in a private manufacturing company and was a Lead. I was told to straighten up because my boss didn't want a female on the floor that cried everytime she got her feelings hurt. I took this as inappropriate and found it to be sexist. Is it? What recourse do I have?
Not long after this statement was made, I stepped down from being a Lead and went back to my old position, losing my wage as a Lead. I stepped down on my own accord and said nothing about the remark that was made to me.

Beth3

I was told to straighten up because my boss didn't want a female on the floor that cried everytime she got her feelings hurt. NO boss wants an employee of either gender who cries at work when he or she is upset, particularly one in a leadership position.

I took this as inappropriate and found it to be sexist. Is it? Assuming you are, in fact, a "crier," then no.

What recourse do I have? None. You chose to vacate your team leader position all on your own and the boss can't have a team lead boo-hooing everytime she (or he) gets upset.

BTW, I once had a female manager who reported to me who SOBBED every time I gave her the least bit of constructive feedback. It drove me absolutely crazy. I finally told her that she had to get a handle on that or we weren't going to able to work together effectively. She elected to find a position elsewhere (and is probably still crying at the drop of a hat.)

Last edited:

SisMidnight

Sexist remark

I am not a"crier" or a "sobber"......My boss has never seen me cry only my manager and that has been twice in the 21/2 years I have worked for this company......even my HR person told me that it was an innappropriate comment on his part and he said he wished he would have known that it happened.....geez

mitousmom

That you have cried on the job, makes the boss' comment a statement of fact. You are a female and you do cry on the job and he doesn't want a lead that cries. Unless he allows the male leads to cry on the job without comment, he's not treating you differently because of your sex.

That you chose to give up your lead position because of one comment suggests that you might not have what it takes to be a lead.

seniorjudge

I am not a"crier" or a "sobber"......My boss has never seen me cry only my manager and that has been twice in the 21/2 years I have worked for this company......even my HR person told me that it was an innappropriate comment on his part and he said he wished he would have known that it happened.....geez
It may or may not have been a "sexist" remark; but it was all true, according to you.

Therefore, you have no case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
even my HR person told me that it was an innappropriate comment on his part

Inappropriate and illegal are not the same thing.

Beth3

Okay. Sexist? Probably. But one sexist comment does not result in a case for sex discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">