• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual abuse court case coming up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joydancer

What is the name of your state? Florida. A step-father figure has oral sex with his girlfriend's daughter while she is sleeping. (Mom is not home). Daughter wakes up and stops the sitiuation with all the emotions you can imagine. Daughter waits a year to tell mom. It gets reported. Everyone is brought to "Childrens & Families and police station for questioning. About two months later man gets arrested but gets out on bond. Now the case is the state vs him. Do the mother and daughter, now 17, have anything to say about what happens to him? They are talking 10 years probation. Is this possible? What is the worse and best case senarios for this sitiuation?

J

joydancer

sexual abuse court case

The prosecuting attorney has had several things to say, none of which give a direct answer. From my understanding, whatever the prosecuting attorney, the defense attorney, the mother & child have in agreement is what will be worked out. To my understanding, it could be possible for the defendent to recieve up to 30 years prison time as a maximum. As a minimum...,probation for up to ten years, mandatory counseling, possible house-arrest, and all of the things that go along with being a registered sex offender. I understand that to a certain extent, the outcome is out of the mother and child's control. It is supposed to be a matter of the "state" now and even if the mother & child wanted to drop charges, it wouldn't be possible. Childrens & Families are involved and they have taped statements from the mother & child. What I want to know is how much say-so do the mother and child REALLY have over the extent of the punishment. The child doesn't want to go to court because she doesn't want to "re-live" it and have to go through the whole thing again. She's been in counseling and is trying to "heal" herself. At the same time, she doesn't want to see things go "unpunished" because she still has a love-hate thing going with the man that was her stepfather figure. She doesn't want to be made out to be a "liar" either but she doesn't want to see him go to prison for any "extended" time either. It's all very upsetting to her at this point and between her and her mother, they just want to know what kind of affect they could have, if any, on the outcome. Does that give you enough information? Thanks.

P

ProResearch

I really didn't want to Reply to this subject but *at the same time* I felt I could contribute a little something. It was a tough choice ;-)

When someone goes through something like this, you can either sit on the edge of the road or get in the traffic, so to speak. It's just a choice one has to make. The daughter (and mother or other parties) must determine which of their ambiguous feelings is most strongest.

Mother and daughter can be witnesses to the prosecution's case and can make the case weak if they don't testify or stronger if they do. The strength of the case is what determines what the step-father will utlimately receive in the way of punishment.

By the way, an excellent old movie explaining a process such as this is "Witness to the Prosecution", c. 1957, with Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, Tyrone Power and other excellent cast. They don't make 'em like this anymore!!

I'm not saying buy it, it's probably at any video rental store, this web site just gives an overview:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=movie&PID=1167416

J

joydancer

sexual abuse court case

Thank you Diane. Your thoughts and words are greatly appreciated.

joydancer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">