• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual assault preliminary hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djohnson

What is the name of your state? TN

I have a question because I hate being on the other end of things.

I am in criminal court in my city on average three days a week. I know most everyone there pretty well. I do this as part of my job is collection, return checks, bankruptcy, theft, tampering etc.

Now I am a victim of sexual assault along with 5 other women and a minor (minor also has exposure charges) and will have to go to court at his preliminary hearing. Will the fact that they know me have any bearing on the case or would it have to be moved? What usually happens ( I know no one is a mind reader, but a general idea) with these types of cases? I don't go back to court until Monday (which is the same day as this preliminary hearing) and didn't know if it would cause a bigger problem if I called someone I knew down there to ask these questions.

H

hexeliebe

Do not contact the court. Just appear and let the court decide for itself if it wants to handle this in any other than normal ways.

What do you think would happen if the District Attorney, Court Reporter or a judge was appearing in court? Or, given the size of some cities in rural Tennessee, do you think that everyone who appears in court is 'unknown' to the personnel?

Let it go and see what happens. At the very least, show up.

djohnson

I don't have a choice but to show up, I was subpoena'd. I'm sure it has happened, I just didn't know if this guys attorney would make an issue out of it. As the attorney will definitely know that I am regularly there.

dequeendistress

It makes no difference. Just because someone "knows" you (and since your position is not as the judge) does not require change of venue. Show up as already stated and let the judge decide...Who cares what irrelevant issues the defendants attorney wants to throw around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">