• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hexeliebe

Yes, there is a lot of information floating around in this empty head of mine. But if there are no more details forthcoming no one is going to be able to answer any questions you might have.

So come back with more details.

M

mental_assassin

oh son of slam, I see you are at it again WANNABE....

I feel for ya BOY!! Now, let the real minds give the advice and move over......

Earthgirl, how about trying out one of the online sites about sexual assault. Just type in sexual assault in your browser or look for some msn groups on sexual assault.

H

hexeliebe

mental_assassin, although I don't agree with Spam's failed attempt at humor in this instance, you're suggest is of little help also. This is a LEGAL forum. And if this poster want's a legal opinion of the events that occurred, she will have to come back here with details and Facts.

It's that simple.

My 13 year old daughter was groped by a 14 year old fellow student on a school trip. I want some help understanding the laws, because the police aren't helping me.

Slon of Slam, you are really rude.

Son of Slam

mental_assassin said:
oh son of slam, I see you are at it again WANNABE....

I feel for ya BOY!! Now, let the real minds give the advice and move over......

Earthgirl, how about trying out one of the online sites about sexual assault. Just type in sexual assault in your browser or look for some msn groups on sexual assault.

I really feel as though my perspicacity has been assassinated!!

H

hexeliebe

EarthGirl,

The first thing you need to do is march yourself and your daughter into the police station and ask to speak with a supervisor. Tell him/her that you're there to file a sexual assault complaint and you are not leaving until it's taken.

I'm having problems getting the school or the police department to take this seriously. He keeps joining the clubs she's in and trying to get close to her. I can't understand the laws concerning this. People keep giving me different answers.

H

hexeliebe

O.K. let's back up. What does your daughter feel about this situation?

dequeendistress

Just my two cents, but its free...;)

This is in the case that you get no response by simply going to the police or contacting the school officials...

Step 1:
Write a letter specifying your complaint, list names, dates and times (witnesses if you know of any)

Step 2:

Take said letter with you to the next school board meeting (they are public) and to the Police Department and ask to speak to the investigator, enlighten them with your written complaint.

Note: Since you state you have already reported this to no avail, you may wish to include the previous times you have made contact (school/police) who you spoke to, the date, and their response.

Keep going up the feeding chain until you get a response.

ohhhh and be sure to request a copy of the student behavior and bus policies from the school.
Now to allow Hexeilebe to continue...

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Then you go to the principle and tell him/her that if something is not done about this incident, at a minimum a full investigation, that you will have no recourse but to go to the school board.

Also inform them that if nothing is done to rectify this situation you will take all possible recourse available to you under Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3620(A), (E)-(F) (West Supp. 1998)

The law requires anyone responsible for the care or treatment of a child - including parents, educators, child-care workers, health-care workers, church staff and police - to contact authorities if he or she believes a child has been the victim of sexual or any other kind of abuse.
Failure to report is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

If they do nothing, and give them two weeks (and let the principle know that) then you need to get to an attorney.

For you and your daughter call Arizona's Child Abuse Hotline at (888) SOS-CHILD.

H

hexeliebe

That's great news. Now, although you may not understand this in light of my previous posts, try to understand.

The child may not be prosecuted and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The point is to not only make him aware that his behavior was wrong, but that there are consequences involved and that the behavior MUST change.

If that occurs from this, then one/half of the battle is won.

Your daughter also needs to realize that she has something to be proud of. It's called guts. Many girls her age protest but do nothing. I'm proud of her for telling you and for standing her ground.

Get her as much help as you can in dealing with this but the most important thing is that she knows you'll always stand beside her. And that saying NO! is just fine.

As for the school and the police department, wait until you have the results of the investigation before busting their asses. But regardless, if I were still in the newspaper business, I'd be at the next school board meeting asking why this was not investigated BEFORE a complaint had to be made at the county level. (hint :D)

As well as at the police chief's office with the same question.

Congrats. You have a gutsy daughter you should be proud of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">