• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Business.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pcb204

Hello, was not sure what category this fell in so hopefully i'm close.

Not sure if anything can be done and I have my doubts but i was wondering about rights next to a brand new "swinger building". It had a grand opening last weekend (no i dont go to them), and it is a neighbor to rather large church. The owner stated in an invitation I saw that they are not a club, but they will have a lifestyle party one weekend a month and to enter its $50, either pp or per couple cant remember. Also it mentions if you want to rent a room for the night, its first come first serve. Is this legal? I know the church next to it has no idea last saturday there were 100 cars parked in their parking lot. To add to all of this, this building was last used as a church itself for the last 30 years or so.
I know when this church finds out it will be a mess, especially if they find out there is nothing that can be done.

thanks

Pcb204

It's in Indiana. I haven't mentioned it to anybody and I don't go to the church, although i know people who do. It does not affect me but others is would. I know nothing about laws or rights or that kind if stuff and I was just trying to understand what battle they will be facing. I can only assume this guy can have whatever kind of party he wants unless there is illegal activity and Im unsure what constitutes illegal in this scenario.
Thank for replying.

quincy

You can check your city and county codes to see if the business violates any zoning or other laws.

Pcb204

Then you have no "legal" issues that anybody here can help you with.

Let the neighbors handle their own problems.
Does it say somewhere on here that the author of the post is required have the legal issue? I was under the impression this was a place to ask questions about legal issues.

zddoodah

The owner stated in an invitation I saw that they are not a club, but they will have a lifestyle party one weekend a month and to enter its $50, either pp or per couple cant remember. Also it mentions if you want to rent a room for the night, its first come first serve. Is this legal?
Nothing in your post suggests it wouldn't be legal.

I know the church next to it has no idea last saturday there were 100 cars parked in their parking lot.
If people are using someone else's property without permission, that can be reported to the police and, in this case, the cars can be towed.

It does not affect me but others is would.
Huh?

I can only assume this guy can have whatever kind of party he wants unless there is illegal activity and Im unsure what constitutes illegal in this scenario.
Here's a link where you can review all of the things that are illegal under Indiana law. A bunch of consenting adults gathering privately for sexual purposes is not illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since this matter
Does it say somewhere on here that the author of the post is required have the legal issue? I was under the impression this was a place to ask questions about legal issues.
This forum is, generally, designed around the concept of providing legal "advice" (in a colloquial sense) to individuals who are involved with legal matters. It sometimes veers from that, but this is not considered a general discussion forum.

Zigner

If people are using someone else's property without permission, that can be reported to the police and, in this case, the cars can be towed.
While true, such towing will not take place based upon a report made by the OP.

quincy

Reviewing state laws is a good start but you cannot neglect researching local and county codes which may restrict types of businesses and where they can be located.

A sex-oriented business, for one example, may be allowed under local laws to operate next to a church but not allowed to operate in a residential area or in close proximity to a school.

Zigner

Don't be so sure. It is Indiana and we are pretty tow happy here.
LOL - well, it shouldn't be done. Why? Because an uninvolved third party has no inherent authority to authorize a tow from private property.

LdiJ

LOL - well, it shouldn't be done. Why? Because an uninvolved third party has no inherent authority to authorize a tow from private property.
LOL

On a serious note however...all the church would have to do is put up a sign saying unauthorized vehicles will be towed, and every tow company in the county would be there in a heartbeat to tow as many as they can.

Zigner

LOL

On a serious note however...all the church would have to do is put up a sign saying unauthorized vehicles will be towed, and every tow company in the county would be there in a heartbeat to tow as many as they can.
Not exactly - they'd need to have a way to identify who is authorized. What if the pasture was burning the midnight oil? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">