• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeradlangley

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I would like to know if my situation constitutes Sexual Discrimination as defined by the law.

It became a new policy at my place of employment (small automobile dealership in small town) that the owner would purchase the female employees memberships to a new womens only health club. There is no such benefit for the male employees.
there are a total of approx 90 people employed between the two dealershops that the same guy owns. Roughly 10-12 of those are women.

thanks for your time and I look forward to your response.

Jerad

Beth3

With a few exceptions, an employer making decisions solely on the basis of gender does constitute prohibited discrimination. Making decisions on the basis of job classification does not, however. By any chance are all the female employees holding administrative-type jobs? If the owner decided to offer this benefit only to the "office staff," and not the sales people and mechanics, that's not illegal. If he did truly decide only to offer it on the basis of gender and the males don't have an equivalent benefit (I presume you guys aren't interested in a membership to the "women only" health club), then yes, he may have violated the law.

Before you jump all over this though, I suggest you think a bit about whether there is anything sponsored by work that only the male employees enjoy or participate in. Sports leagues (golf, bowling, softball, etc.) are the most common.

J

jeradlangley

thanks Beth

thanks for the response Beth. I will give you a little information that you were questioning. I have an administrative job and work in the office right next to a female that does the exact same job as me. I see what you are saying though and I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen anything in the two years I have been there that only male employees were invited to. So, it appears that this man could very well be breaking the law. Thanks again. By the way, this was my first post and the first time I had seen the board. I will be a frequent visitor from now on!

Jerad

Beth3

Jerad, I suggest you do a little investigating before you do anything or make an issue of this.

First, I'd suggest you try to find out how this came to be. Could be as simple as one or two of your female co-workers asking the boss "Would you consider sponsoring us for membership in..." and the boss thinking that would be a nice thing to do. Could be his wife works there and he could get a discount on membership or he is an investor in the place. Could be any number of other reasons and it never occurred to the boss that he was venturing down the path of gender discrimination. Ask one or two of your female co-workers if they happen to know why the boss decided to offer this benefit.

Second, you might want to be patient a bit. Could be the boss has something in the works for the men that he thinks they might enjoy.

The last step would be to talk to the boss. I'm guessing he's just trying to be a good guy here and do something nice for some of his employees so don't go in with both guns blaring about sex discrimination. Someone might ask, for example, that since the ladies are enjoying their health club membership so much has he considered doing something similar for the guys?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">