• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Account & Authorized User

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrokeAsAJoke

Some of you may think I'm naive, but I believe in NOT burning bridges......

I've been getting my ducks in a row so I can file ch 7 soon, but had a couple of questions.

Shortly after my husband left me I called my creditors (not realizing that in a couple of months I would be forced into filing for bankruptcy) and made sure that he was not listed on my credit cards. I didn't want to take a chance of him running my cards up and me being liable for them. Well, on one of them he was listed as an authorized user of the card. This account has been closed and reopened with his name no where on the account. On another card, he was listed as a shared account holder (I have no clue how that happened, we kept our credit seperate) and that account has had a hold put on it, while I filled out paperwork (that we both had to sign) which will remove his name from the account. Now are these creditors going to come after him, once I file or it get's discharged? Will what I did throw up some sort of flag and have them deny my bankruptcy? I'm terrified of this whole ordeal. Not to mention the fact that I will have to file for divorce after the bankruptcy proceedings are over. My nerves are SHOT!

Jeter

The change in account holder status from joint to single, then a subsequent bankruptcy filing may raise a red flag. If the account was correctly changed to reflect you as the sole account holder, the debt will be discharged and no further action will be taken. However, if he is still listed as a co-debtor (joint account holder) than the creditor will seek relief from him. A co-debtor is normally not affected by the bankruptcy of the other debtor. As an authorized user he is not responsible in any case for your debt.

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">