• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knew2this

What is the name of your state? MD. I am speaking on behalf of my fiance. He has expressed interest in 'shared custody' of his three children. Their mother is adamant that she is a better parent. He feels that she would fight tooth and nail--he feels that it would be a costly battle. Are there any lawyers out there that would take the case without charging an arm and a leg??

casa

knew2this said:
What is the name of your state? MD. I am speaking on behalf of my fiance. He has expressed interest in 'shared custody' of his three children. Their mother is adamant that she is a better parent. He feels that she would fight tooth and nail--he feels that it would be a costly battle. Are there any lawyers out there that would take the case without charging an arm and a leg??
Your fiance's best bet would be to contact various lawyers in the area and ask for a free or low cost consult. How expensive it is depends on a variety of factors. ie; What is the current court order? How old are the children? How far away do the parent's live from each other and the school the children attend? Has there been any circumstances which the father is basing the desire to change custody/visitation?

knew2this

The current court order is for every other weekend and Wednesday evening (not sleeping over). She claims that psychiatrists maintain that it is not healthy for children to be part of a 'shared custody' situation. I actually think it is healthier because the children are with each parent an equal amount of time. The children are 6, 8 and 10 years old. We live approximately fifteen minutes from them. The situation that I envision would include her having them one week, then we have them the following week. There would be no problem getting them to school and picking them up. The children have expressed interest in living with Dad (solely) therefore a compromise *shared custody seems reasonable. An idicator that she is not receptive to the idea is that when the children bring this up to her, they are usually sent to 'time out.'

casa

knew2this said:
The current court order is for every other weekend and Wednesday evening (not sleeping over). She claims that psychiatrists maintain that it is not healthy for children to be part of a 'shared custody' situation. I actually think it is healthier because the children are with each parent an equal amount of time. The children are 6, 8 and 10 years old. We live approximately fifteen minutes from them. The situation that I envision would include her having them one week, then we have them the following week. There would be no problem getting them to school and picking them up. The children have expressed interest in living with Dad (solely) therefore a compromise *shared custody seems reasonable. An idicator that she is not receptive to the idea is that when the children bring this up to her, they are usually sent to 'time out.'
There are professionals who are pro and against shared physical custody. The determining factors are whether both parents have shared the parenting of the children prior, whether they can get along and be cooperative with one another & whether they live close enough to facilitate the same schedule/school for the kids.

If the Mother is against this, it will be a fight for the father~ because courts typically don't want to change existing custody orders, and the mother has had primary custody up until this point.

It's certainly worth an attorney consult- so the father can give all the relevant facts and have someone advise him not only of the chances in his specific case- but also what the local judges in the area tend to order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">