• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared farm land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MAIZIE

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I had posted this in another forum but received no responses, so I hope this is the right one. I and my 5 siblings share in some farm land, 1 does the actual farming and the rest share in the expenses and income..1/6. My question is...can the one that does the farming mortgage the land without our consent? Also, can they also mortgage farm land that is in a life estate? Thanks for any input.:confused:

HomeGuru

MAIZIE said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa
I had posted this in another forum but received no responses, so I hope this is the right one. I and my 5 siblings share in some farm land, 1 does the actual farming and the rest share in the expenses and income..1/6. My question is...can the one that does the farming mortgage the land without our consent?

**A: no, all property owners must consent.

Also, can they also mortgage farm land that is in a life estate? Thanks for any input.:confused:

**A: yes, provided the mortgage lender approves. The life estate creates an encumbrance on the property and thus decreases the fee simple interest.

M

MAIZIE

Thanks Home Guru for your reply. I have done some researching and I understand from the mortgage company that they understand that they will have a lien only on their clients 1/6 interest. I asked them what if their client should default, they said I should retain an attorney. What is your input on this situation. Since this parcel of land is an undivided interest 6 ways, how can they retrieve anything, except the proceeds on 1/6 of the crops. This does not make any sense to me.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">