• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Water System

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkg0679

What is the name of your state? Vermont

I share a private water supply with three neighbors. The well & pump house are on the Dantona's property. Dantona's use this home as a summer home and reside in Maryland the rest of the year. Brian (another neighbor on the system) hold the key to the water sheds. He is responsible for shutting off water when we need it shut off.

Last winter I had a pipe burst. I do not have a private water shut off, so I called Brain to shut down the system while we fixed teh problem. It took him 3 hours to get home to shut it down. Now we need it shutdown again to cap off that pipe before this winter comes and we have the same problem as last. I have asked for a key to the water sheds, with Dantona telling me no to prevent vandalism. This upsets me because I have zero intentions of vandalizing my own water system!

Anyways, this morning a third neighbor that is NOT on the water supply has the key to shutdown the system for us. I am very upset that he gets a key and I do not.

My question is do I have the right to hold a key to the pump house even though it is on Dantona's land?

Thank you for your help.

BelizeBreeze

No you do not. Althought the water system is share, the property is NOT and the owner has the right to decide to whom the key will be given.

JEFFG

You need to contact an attorney. Check your deed you may have rights to access if it was spelled out in the deed. The water system under some laws may deem the water system common property, in addition you may be able to litigate for the right of free access to the water system.
If all else fails install a water shut off on your property.
I am not an attorney, but had a similar situation until we bought the property the well was on. But by law and our deed we had access to the well and were also responsible for it's maintainence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">