• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing SS# to a foreign call center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefnfot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am trying to reestablish phone service with ATT.
Part of this process is that they require a credit check. So I asked the phone representative if they were a foreign country or in the US. She said that they were not in the US.

Is there any protection for consumers on this? IN California?

This is a utility, and they are governed by US requirements which should not force US citizens from sharing their SS# to a foreign country.

International Law would take over jurisdiction in case any identity theft occurs and we know that provides -0- help compared to local state consumer protection laws.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am trying to reestablish phone service with ATT.
Part of this process is that they require a credit check. So I asked the phone representative if they were a foreign country or in the US. She said that they were not in the US.

Is there any protection for consumers on this? IN California?

This is a utility, and they are governed by US requirements which should not force US citizens from sharing their SS# to a foreign country.

International Law would take over jurisdiction in case any identity theft occurs and we know that provides -0- help compared to local state consumer protection laws.
Are you trying to establish a land line or cell phone? If its cell phone then why not just go to a local AT&T store?

ALawyer

Ought There To Be A Law?

Unfortunately many American businesses have off-shored many of their service functions, especially for off hours and weekend and Holiday service.

While I doubt that there is a law that prohibits a US utility or other business from asking for your SS # from overseas (and that is NOT my field of expertise, so there might just be) I know of no law that requires you to give them your number if you don't want to. (Of course if you don't, they don't have to extend you credit either.)

Why not try calling back several times when US based call centers are most likely to be operational and improve your chances of dealing with a call center human in Omaha or Ogden instead of in Guatemala, the Philippines or India?

And as it's the eve of the Independence Day holiday, why not write to your Congress person and Senator, your state senator and assembly person, and your state public service commission (or whoever regulates utilities in your state) and urge them to adopt laws and regulations that keep that type of information onshore? Might even create more jobs in the US too. Have a Great 4th of July!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">