• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shaving policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

Agree, OP can be legally fired for not shaving off his beard.

On a side note, my last gig was in senior management at a large commercial bakery (think factory, we had about 1200 employees, and 60% of our products went to the US, to companies like WalMart, Whole Foods, KMart, Kroeger's, Sam's Club, Piggly Wiggly, Safeway and Publix, etc.). (Think Two-Bite Brownies - trademark sign here - and mini cupcakes, anything small and sweet.) Many of our plant employees were Sikh and Muslim. The Sikh and Muslim religions prohibit the cutting/shaving of hair, and while the Sikh and Muslim men with beards were perfectly OK with wearing beard covers, the older women (the ones with beards) were not. No, not, not nuh-uh. We told them it was fine with us if they wore beard covers (which we would supply, free of charge) and they told us it was against their religion to cut their beards off. We reiterated that we weren't asking them to cut their beards off, we were just requiring them to cover their beards. We again told them they had to start wearing beard covers beginning the next day.

Next morning? No bearded ladies! Ergo, no beard covers required! Interesting how flexible people can be when it comes to personal vanity...

eerelations

You had women that had enough facial hair that it required they wear a beard net? I’m at a loss for words.
Oi! After the age of 60 (and sometimes after the age of 55), ALL women start growing beard hair. If said beard hair is allowed to grow unchecked/unplucked, then yes, a woman of that age can start looking like she has a beard. A small thin beard maybe, but a beard nonetheless.

Most North American women start plucking beard hairs as soon as they see them (like me - if I hadn't started plucking when I did, and just left things alone, then I'd be a bearded woman too!). (That's why you don't see beards on most North American women.) But if these women belong to a "do-not-cut" religion, then you will see bearded old women. But if you live/work in an area where there are lots of these types of women you will actually see their facial hair. I did, I was surprised, I handled it.

An American woman I met made me laugh when she said "I don't have to shave my legs so much anymore, most of the hair seems to have transferred itself to my chin."

justalayman

I understand that but I see no reason for a beard net for the typical beard I see on older women. It is less dense and shorter than their eyebrows (except for the Italians. There are some seriously hairy Italian women) yet they are not required to wear eyebrow nets/catchers/????

I can’t seem to find any guidance on when a snood (I learned today a beard net is callled a snood) is required. I’ve reviewed several states laws and several websites that speak to such issues. One explained the fda makes no bright line to separate scruff from beard. (Apparently scruff doesn’t require a snood)

eerelations

First, a beard cover and a snood are two totally different thing. A snood is something that contains a bun at the back of the head. A beard cover is something that contains hair at the front of the head - lower section.

And while hairy Italian women may have some beard-like bits on their chins, it's NOTHING compared to what Asian women have on their chins, Really. I've been there. I've seen it. (And BTW, my background is Scottish...think about Sean Connery and his famous eyebrows.)

ALawyer

One thought -- if you are able to assert that the beard or long hair is for deeply held and bona fide religious reasons (e.g. perhaps you are a Sikh) -- then the employer likely would be obligated to offer to make reasonable accommodation.

quincy

One thought -- if you are able to assert that the beard or long hair is for deeply held and bona fide religious reasons (e.g. perhaps you are a Sikh) -- then the employer likely would be obligated to offer to make reasonable accommodation.
This was actually touched on earlier by PayrollHRGuy and others, and the link I provided to the article from The National Law Review discusses beards worn for religious reasons versus legitimate business reasons for shaved faces.

Following are links to the two cases discussed in the article published in the law review (Sadruddin v. City of Newark; E.E.O.C. v. Sambo's of Georgia, Inc.). There are many similar cases.

Sadruddin: https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/34/923/2462707/

Sambo's: https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/530/86/1370384/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">