• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she's trying to take my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmd

What is the name of your state? Washington.
When my daughter was 5 yrs. old I was moving to the Seattle area & I didn't want her going to school there so she stayed w/her dad in the Port Angeles area. I moved back to Port Angeles a year later & when I first came back I was seeing her regularly. Her dad moved out of his mom's & left our daughter with his mom. Well now his mother thinks my daughter is hers and she don't like me so she won't let my daughter see me. She gives my daughter a hard time when she asks to see me. My daughter is 14 yrs. old now & want's to be able to be around me. I never gave up my custody of her. What can I do? I am very depressed by this. She wouldn't even let my daughter call me on mothers day. Please help. :( :mad: :confused:

rmet4nzkx

Essentially you abandoned your child when you moved to th ebig city to do what ever you wanted to do in your life.

Were there court orders for custody, child support, visitation?

Did you pay child support?

Did you visit?

What did you do when you moved back a year later?

Did you do anything to improve the relationship with your daughter?

You visited her regularly for a while.......

Now 8 years later you wonder why you don't have a relationship?

While you may have rights as a mother, it is hard to say how a court will look at them after so many years of allowing other people to raise your child. You allowed her grandmother to be there for all the good and bad times, you didn;t bother to go to court to enforce or exercixe your rights, what makes you interested all of a sudden in your child?

Now there will be some who because they have a personal agenda, will say that you have a good case to get your daughter back and the grandmother has no rights because of a recent case in WA. or that they have seen this or seen that happen. While this may be true, the fact remains that each case is decided upon it's merits and facts, the most significant of which is that you abandoned your child first to your ex and his mother and later to her alone. Grandmother has been her de facto parent for 9 years, all while you lived in the same state. You have not even bothered to provide the facts re court orders. To get your daughter back you will have to both prove your fitness and her unfitness and how that is in the best interest of your daughter.

At age 14 she is pretty much grown up and likely to have strong opinions developed and any reunification to be a long and painful process. Please thinkof your daughter's best interest.

rmet4nzkx

How do you expect an answer without providing the facts, even so, what ever you excuse, you have much to overcome which is most likely why you didn't provide them and tried to do it via PM which I will post below. 14 yo girls are very manipulative and most likely that is playing a role.
Private Message: from wmd

Yesterday
wmd

from wmd
1st: I did not abandoned my daughter. It was discussed heavyly w/my ex. several times. There were never any court orders about anything. I never gave up my rights to my daughter. I did what I could when I could to help with supporting her (I went to the Seattle area to go to school, not to screw around in the big city). Yes, I visited almost every weekend and I had her most of the summer. My daughter and I have never had a bad relationship. And now 8 years later, if that witch would let my daughter be around me, our relationship would be even better. We stay in touch nightly via messenger. She is not allowed to call me on the phone, if we see each other in town the gma won't let her even say hi to me. She cries b-cuz of it. She wants to be w/me. Now, can you tell me that staying w/her gma (who by the way won't even let her have friends, participate in school activities or anything else like that) is in her best intrest?!? And as for what I did when I came back to town, I helped my mother bury my daddy.

casa

wmd said:
What is the name of your state? Washington.
When my daughter was 5 yrs. old I was moving to the Seattle area & I didn't want her going to school there so she stayed w/her dad in the Port Angeles area. I moved back to Port Angeles a year later & when I first came back I was seeing her regularly. Her dad moved out of his mom's & left our daughter with his mom. Well now his mother thinks my daughter is hers and she don't like me so she won't let my daughter see me. She gives my daughter a hard time when she asks to see me. My daughter is 14 yrs. old now & want's to be able to be around me. I never gave up my custody of her. What can I do? I am very depressed by this. She wouldn't even let my daughter call me on mothers day. Please help. :( :mad: :confused:
You gave up custody of her when you didn't fight to re-establish it for over 8 years. She's lived with the grandmother long enough to demonstrate to the court that you and the father both agreed to the grandmother raising her.

8 years is a long time to do nothing. The child clearly was schlepped off by both parents~ and is now a teenager, playing on all the adults involved.

File in court for custody or visitation schedule- then you'll have a court order which you can enforce. Until you do that, you only have a resentful teenager and a lot of guilt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">