• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shifty Mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waylorn

State: TN

I paid a mechanic 3200 dollars to do a motor and transmission swap on a 98 honda prelude. He has my car, 2 transmissions, and 2 motors. He has the key to the car. The car itself it at his grandpa's beside a fence covered in pine needles. It has been over a year and he wont answer calls or text. I am not sure what I can do or not do. But I want to do something. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Send a demand letter saying if he doesn't fix it in the next 30 days, you will sue and then file a suit in small claims court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You paid some guy (who you apparently don't even know very well) in full for work he didn't even start to do and he doesn't even have a place of business?

quincy

State: TN

I paid a mechanic 3200 dollars to do a motor and transmission swap on a 98 honda prelude. He has my car, 2 transmissions, and 2 motors. He has the key to the car. The car itself it at his grandpa's beside a fence covered in pine needles. It has been over a year and he wont answer calls or text. I am not sure what I can do or not do. But I want to do something. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hire a tow truck and do as the repo folks do. Go get your car towed from grandpa's property. It's your car.

Once the car is back in your possession, you can sue the mechanic for the money you paid him that he didn't earn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">