• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shipper decided to keep most of refund money from UPS claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Having worked for many companies that ship products I can tell you that the buyer of a shipped good cannot make a claim with the shipper. Its the seller that has to make a claim with the shipper and reimburse the buyer.
Yeah, and companies that ship products REFUND customers when things come damaged/missing.

OP should be completely reimbursed for the paid for value of the doll.

One thing I'd like to say again, in case it was missed: It's entirely possible that the shipping cost was driven by the volume of the shipment, not the weight. As such, it could have cost the same for two dolls or three dolls.
And that was likely accounted for in determining the claim.

What I am having difficulty with is the idea that the seller should get extra money above and beyond what was initially agreed upon. The seller was paid for the doll- they don't need reimbursement for something they sold! Since the package was underinsured, OP would still be out money even if OP got $100 + 1/3 of shipping.

Remember: this is a seller who thinks that 1/3 of $177 is $50.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, and companies that ship products REFUND customers when things come damaged/missing.

What I am having difficulty with is the idea that the seller should get extra money above and beyond what was initially agreed upon. The seller was paid for the doll- they don't need reimbursement for something they sold! Since the package was underinsured, OP would still be out money even if OP got $100 + 1/3 of shipping.

No, the seller received $227 and sent the OP $50. The seller is looking at this as follows:

OP paid $150 for three dolls, so each doll was worth $50. OP got two dolls. OP got $50 back. I don't think the OP has claimed that the missing doll was worth any more (or less) than the other dolls. I'll go back and read the thread again to make sure...

OP paid $77 for shipping. If this was volume based (in other words, if the cost for shipping two or three dolls would have been the same), then the OP wouldn't really be entitled to anything back on the shipping.

LdiJ

Why do you think that the OP would still be out money if the OP got 100 + 1/3 of shipping. Two of the dolls that the OP paid for arrived just fine.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Why do you think that the OP would still be out money if the OP got 100 + 1/3 of shipping. Two of the dolls that the OP paid for arrived just fine.
OP has since clarified that they had paid only $150. OP has not clarified whether the missing doll was worth more or less than the other dolls, but OP did state that the dolls weren't all the same value. OP had also stated that the package had been underinsured, leading me to believe that the doll could be worth significantly more.

OP paid $150 + $77 = $227.

The seller is still off. The seller received an additional $100 + $77 = $127 as a result of the claim; the package was insured for $100. The seller's store reimbursed OP $50. The seller is keeping the difference, $127, as a fee for having to file the claim.

At least, that is what I read. If I am still misunderstanding what OP has been expressing, OP can clarify.

justalayman

So, I paid $150 for 3 dolls of which I only received 2. I additionally paid $77 for shipping for these 3 large, heavy dolls of which I only received 2.
I was given $50 back, not from the seller’s own personal money but actually from the $177 refund the seller received from ups. So, the seller actually made an extra $127 on the deal ontop of my $150 they already have.
Is that not stealing?
No it’s nkt stealing. You were actually refunded the pro rata share if the cost of the doll. The only additional money you might be due is 1/3 of the shipping costs. That would make you whole. It is irrelevent what the seller received

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">