• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shipper made mistake and shipped cancelled order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

That's a fair assessment. I'm just really unImpressed with how slow they respond and how little they seem to care about customer satisfaction.
There are some companies with good customer service (e.g., Target for one) and there are some companies with terrible customer service (e.g., whoever you are dealing with :)).

I would tell you to ignore the company and just keep the merchandise but I fear that you will eventually be billed for the merchandise or sent to collections. The company is obviously not being run as efficiently or effectively as it should be.

My suggestion, therefore, remains that you continue to ask the company for a return shipping label.

Out of curiosity, what is the value of this merchandise?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not really. The merchandise was sent AFTER the company canceled the order and refunded the money. It was error on the part of the company. Now the company is responsible for picking up return shipping costs if they want the merchandise returned.

I know some companies will let the recipient keep the merchandise because it is cheaper/easier than having it return-shipped.
The shipper wants this back. The OP is trying to find a way to not send it back.

There are some companies with good customer service (e.g., Target for one) and there are some companies with terrible customer service (e.g., whoever you are dealing with :)).

I would tell you to ignore the company and just keep the merchandise but I fear that you will eventually be billed for the merchandise or sent to collections. The company is obviously not being run as efficiently or effectively as it should be.

My suggestion, therefore, remains that you continue to ask the company for a return shipping label.

Out of curiosity, what is the value of this merchandise?
It's a $160 item, and it's not like I need one as I bought a different one somewhere else.

quincy

It's a $160 item, and it's not like I need one as I bought a different one somewhere else.
I am sort of surprised that the company is even requesting a return.

You can send the company you ordered from a formal letter detailing the history of the transaction and your attempt to return merchandise shipped in error. You can cc. the letter to the corporate office.

Maybe that will lead to a resolution.

LdiJ

Not really. The merchandise was sent AFTER the company canceled the order and refunded the money. It was error on the part of the company. Now the company is responsible for picking up return shipping costs if they want the merchandise returned.

I know some companies will let the recipient keep the merchandise because it is cheaper/easier than having it return-shipped.
Absolutely. It depends on what the merchandise is to a great extent. I decided to make some spice mixes for Christmas presents this past season and ordered bulk spices from Amazon in order to do so. One of the spices I received was clearly opened prior to my receiving it so I asked to return it and get a replacement. They sent me the replacement and specifically told me that they did not need the original returned, so I just trashed it.

You need to seriously work on getting it returned one way or another. That is not an inconsequential value and you risk problems if you are not proactive in returning it.
I can understand that, and it's not as if I haven't. Ive been trying to get this thing out of my hair since it arrived. They're the ones taking 7+ days to respond and beating around originally trying to make me pay for the shipping. It's not like this is a tiny company either

Just Blue

I can understand that, and it's not as if I haven't. Ive been trying to get this thing out of my hair since it arrived. They're the ones taking 7+ days to respond and beating around originally trying to make me pay for the shipping. It's not like this is a tiny company either
Again...How much is the shipping?

quincy

... That is not an inconsequential value and you risk problems if you are not proactive in returning it.
The $160 is inconsequential to many companies, especially those companies that spend several times that amount trying to establish good will.

The value of the product and, as Blue implies with her question, the cost of shipping, can determine whether a company pushes for return of what was sent or finds more value in letting the customer keep the merchandise.

It is also important to remember that this was a problem NOT of Vadeo's making. The company canceled the order, refunded the money and THEN, over a month later, the company shipped the canceled order.

LdiJ

The $160 is inconsequential to many companies, especially those companies that spend several times that amount trying to establish good will.

The value of the product and, as Blue implies with her question, the cost of shipping, can determine whether a company pushes for return of what was sent or finds more value in letting the customer keep the merchandise.

It is also important to remember that this was a problem NOT of Vadeo's making. The company canceled the order, refunded the money and THEN, over a month later, the company shipped the canceled order.
I am not suggesting that he go to any expense to return the item. Just that he be proactive in keeping in contact with the company. Emails would be sufficient in my opinion. If it takes them a week to respond, then send them once a week.

quincy

I am not suggesting that he go to any expense to return the item. Just that he be proactive in keeping in contact with the company. Emails would be sufficient in my opinion. If it takes them a week to respond, then send them once a week.
Emails are not as good as formal letters sent certified mail with a return receipt requested, with a cc to the corporate headquarters.

LdiJ

Emails are not as good as formal letters sent certified mail with a return receipt requested, with a cc to the corporate headquarters.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, a formal letter can get lost in the shuffle, since companies are used to dealing digitally on these types of things these days. Certainly a formal letter is going to take a lot longer to work its way to the people who would actually be dealing with the issue. Therefore I am still going to recommend the emails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">