• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marik Ishtar

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, I'm new to this site.

So last night I went to WinCo to buy an ice cream thing, but it didn't come with spoons, so I opened a spoon container, grabbed one spoon, then bought the ice cream. An employee comes up to me and tells me not to do that again, in reference to the spoons, and they let me go taking no information or anything. They also determined I was shoplifting while I was still in the store. I'm not sure what's gonna happen next, if they would pursue this, if they still can, or what would happen. It was like a 20 pack of spoons, that was 1.98. I just didn't want to have a full pack of spoons, and I was only at winco because McDonald's didn't do ice cream at that time. It was like 3am. I understand the situation is a bit ridiculous, but I want to know if winco/the state would bother pursuing over me over what amounted to about 10 cents of losses, or what would happen to me. I'd hate for this to wind up being a 200 fine or something. It also would be my first time shoplifting, as far as the law is concerned.

Thank you.

quincy

So last night I went to WinCo to buy an ice cream thing, but it didn't come with spoons, so I opened a spoon container, grabbed one spoon, then bought the ice cream. An employee comes up to me and tells me not to do that again, in reference to the spoons, and they let me go taking no information or anything. They also determined I was shoplifting while I was still in the store. I'm not sure what's gonna happen next, if they would pursue this, if they still can, or what would happen. It was like a 20 pack of spoons, that was 1.98. I just didn't want to have a full pack of spoons, and I was only at winco because McDonald's didn't do ice cream at that time. It was like 3am. I understand the situation is a bit ridiculous, but I want to know if winco/the state would bother pursuing over me over what amounted to about 10 cents of losses, or what would happen to me. I'd hate for this to wind up being a 200 fine or something. It also would be my first time shoplifting, as far as the law is concerned.

Thank you.
Yes, you could be charged with shoplifting/theft. The value of what you stole only figures into the penalty.

Here is a link to California’s petty theft law:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=490.1.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Thank you.
I doubt they will bother. Don't go in the store again. Don't open packages of spoons, knives, forks, napkins, plates...even if you only take one, the rest must be thrown out as they can not be sold or used.
Go forth and sin no more. ;)

quincy

I doubt they will bother. Don't go in the store again. Don't open packages of spoons, knives, forks, napkins, plates...even if you only take one, the rest must be thrown out as they can not be sold or used.
Go forth and sin no more. ;)
I agree that it is unlikely that anything will come from this, especially since the store did not ask for Mark’s identification. But Mark risked a $250 fine by taking the spoon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">