• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting in Wal-Mart in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sorrysorrysorry

Hi,

I was caught shoplifting with a friend. I took $20 worth of trading cards and my friend stole a $12 watch. I have read that Wal-Mart will not prosecute if the value of the goods stolen is under $25, but the Loss Prevention officer mentioned that he could combine the values together in order to prosecute us, then he trailed off and was contemplating whether he should do that or not.

I am 18 and my friend is 17. My friends dad spoke with my parents (who I informed of what happened as soon as I came home) and said that Wal-Mart would not be pressing any charges for either of us. I called and tried to contact a store managed in order to schedule an apology in person, but I was told that they would call me back.

What will happen now? Will I receive one of the civil demand letters in the mail? Or is there any chance that they just completely let us go? Was it a good idea calling and asking to apologize? Will anything go on my criminal record?

I am so shaken right now, I know what I did was very wrong and it was on an impulse, I regret it immensely and I hope everything is okay. Both of my parents are very old and neither of them work so additional financial hardship would not be very good for us.

I wished I had apologized right then and there to the Loss Prevention officers as well as to the manager. I hope I didn't make a mistake in calling them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">