• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am charged for shoplifting.I did not do it intentionally but forgot to pay it at the counter and walked out of the store since my daughter is crying and I am in a hurry to return home. When the security approached me and told me that I have shop lifted I am shocked and was very afraid. I don't know what I am talking and in a completely confused state. Since I am a foreigner and my husband is working here in a respectable position, I feared a lot and felt my identinty may affect him also. Due to these fears I could not dosclose the facts about me and also gave a wrong information, which I realised a big mistake. I also I could not understand the accent of the officers. When the Police came to the shop I have disclosed my identity.
The cost of the items ( two small dolls and a phone) will be less than $30.
I have never committed any such offences or any kind of acts which are against the law.
I was let free after my husband showed the police my passport ( which I am not carrying at the time of arrest and is in my house ).
The following charges were filed against me.
Section 484 (A) PC
Section 148.9 PC

Please let me know what to do? I was told that there is a possibility that the court may agree for Good behaviuor bond. I will do what ever is required to prove my sincerity.
Please let me know whether there is any chance for me to be not convicted and be given any chance to prove my soncerity.

I will greatly appreciate if you can provide me the advice and required information.




I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

In what state do you live? You didn't give that information.

As to these charges, you really need an attorney to get this dismissed for you. IF you didn't intentionally do it nor had the mental state to shoplift, combined with your lack of command for the English language, may help you get this dismissed.

speak to a criminal defense attorney in your state and have him/her help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential