• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short-term disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anni_96

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

If anyone has any eperience or any words of wisdom on this, please fill me in. I am a teacher at an elementary school.

My boyfriend died on April 6, 09. It was very sudden and unexpected, he was only 32. I am unfunctionable at work and I constantly cry. School is not a happy place for me. Morale is at an all-time low and people are just whiny and tattle-tales. I don't want to leave my students, but if I can't function, they aren't getting anything anyways. As it is, all of my reviews and observations have been very good for the time that I've been at that school, 3 years. However, this year I've been "warned" by Human Resources that I have had a large number of absences this year and that isn't a good thing. This is also my tenure year so I'm not sure how that affects the law. Also, I'm afraid if I am observed now, I won't get a very good report and that could be grounds for termination. However, if I take the time off then they can't claim unsatisfactory performance because I won't be there. I don't know what to do. I also worry because I would only get 70% of my salary, which would hurt. I'm not sure what I would do if I had all that time, I would think heal, but who knows. Anyways, I pretty much need to make up my mind by Wednesday.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even assuming that you can just take disability time for the asking, which you cannot, all you would be doing would be postponing the inevitable. Taking disability benefits provides no job protection. Even if you somehow managed to talk a doctor into approving FMLA, FMLA does NOT protect you against termination for unsatisfactory performance.

AND you can be legally fired for taking medical leave when you are not sick. So what would you accomplish?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">