• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i already have my paperwork? What happens if i dont?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmarcoux

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
When are the police police expected to provide paperwork explaining your arrest? Other thank the bail paperwork?
I was arrested on a class b misdemeanor 7 days a go and the police never gave me any paperwork about my arrest only paperwork on my bail from the bail comminisner. I was charged with false report and it involves another person which is making things confusing for me and I was told if they don't provide the paperwork my charges won't stick, is that correct?

Just Blue

When are the police police expected to provide paperwork explaining your arrest? Other thank the bail paperwork?
I was arrested on a class b misdemeanor 7 days a go and the police never gave me any paperwork about my arrest only paperwork on my bail from the bail comminisner. I was charged with false report and it involves another person which is making things confusing for me and I was told if they don't provide the paperwork my charges won't stick, is that correct?
What did your attorney say when you asked this question?

quincy

If you were arrested and released on bail prior to your arraignment, you should have a court date scheduled in 35 days or so.

You should check the bail release papers for a summons/court date or you can call the court clerk to see if your arraignment has been scheduled.

It will be at your arraignment that you will learn of the charge(s) filed against you. It is recommended that you have an attorney for your arraignment.

You do NOT want to miss your court appearance.

Good luck.

Cmarcoux

What did your attorney say when you asked this question?
I don't have one, I was arrested on a misdemeanor charge class b, first time ever arrested I didn't even think I would need a lawyer for this but it's turning into more than I thought. It involves another person and now I was informed that I should have received paperwork and I now need to get a lawyers advice and I can't afford a lawyer. I will At least speak to one to see what my right are in the situation, I asked on here because I am trying to find out what I can

quincy

If you were arrested on a Class B misdemeanor, there is a mandatory court appearance.

You either received or will receive a summons with your court hearing date. You should call the court to confirm the date. It might not have been scheduled yet.

At your arraignment, you can request a public defender and, if you qualify for a public defender, the court will appoint one.

If you do not have an attorney with you at your arraignment, it is generally advised that you plead "not guilty" and another hearing will be scheduled. At this subsequent hearing, you should have an attorney (either private or court-appointed).

Your attorney will work with you to try to get the charge(s) reduced or dismissed.

Good luck.

If you were charged with making a false report go to the police department records division and get copies of the original false report and the officers report he made about you filing the false report.
I'm guessing the police had an arrest warrant issued for you as there were no exigent circumstances. Not sure of your state but normally when arrested you would be given a copy of the arrest warrant and if you were incarcerated the jail won't take you unless they get a copy of the warrant for their records.
We never took anyone to jail and just handed them over saying "lock him up for me", there was always paperwork.
But if you didn't get a copy of the arrest warrant it's not an automatic get out of jail free pass.

quincy

... But if you didn't get a copy of the arrest warrant it's not an automatic get out of jail free pass.
???

Cmarcoux is already out of jail, on bail. Cmarcoux has that paperwork. Often these bail papers from the bail commissioner include a summons with the date for the court appearance. If not, a summons should be sent to Cmarcoux with the court date.

Cmarcoux will want an attorney.

???

Cmarcoux is already out of jail, on bail. Cmarcoux has that paperwork. Often these bail papers from the bail commissioner include a summons with the date for the court appearance. If not, a summons should be sent to Cmarcoux with the court date.

Cmarcoux will want an attorney.
I meant it figuratively, not literally.
As for changing to NeilTheExCop, that's a valid statement. The ex part being due to having retained an incompetent attorney.

quincy

I meant it figuratively, not literally.
As for changing to NeilTheExCop, that's a valid statement. The ex part being due to having retained an incompetent attorney.
Ahh. Figurative not literal. :)

Having the "cop" in your name implies you are currently a cop. I am not sure that makes a difference in how seriously the information you provide is taken by a poster but I suppose it could. I know it makes a difference when someone states or implies they are an attorney, hence the need for vetting by administrators of this site when someone touts their legal credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">