• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KRISTALYNN

I was recently sued by an ex-girlfriend for $1000. When she found out that I was engaged 3 months after I ended our 3 year relationship, she claimed that I owed her money for a TV and VCR and Camcorder that were purchased while we were dating.

I had paid cash for the TV and VCR but did n't get a receipt from my girlfriend obviously. I realize that I'm screwed there. As for the camcorder... I wanted one, walking through Best Buy, I saw one I liked, she offered to put it on her charge and pay for half. 4 days after my birthday, she went to the store and bought it. It was never actually discussed that her $400 was a birthday gift, but there was no mention of pay back. Now she wants me to pay for her half. I offered to give it back to her if she returned the half I paid for and she refuses to take it? We had lived together for a year and bought things for the apartment together and never kept track... she retains them all. I had dumped her so when we broke up I just called it even. Besides, all I have proof of is a check I borrowed her for $400 because she was short on bills. I bartend and always have cash.

The Court Commissioner who originally heard the case awarded her $200. She stated that it was fishy that the girlfriend would incur the debt of a $800 camcorder in 4/99 if he still hadn't paid her for the TV and VCR from 9/98. She also saw that there was no real agreement.

She actually kicked my fiance in the back as she walked through a bar trying to provoke her, which didn't work. Then she appealed the decision and we went before the judge last week.

The judge awarded her $850, all but the interest she was suing for. I assumed that the court would make me pay the $300. I don't understand how I can be forced to buy her half of the camcorder though. I felt like he wouldn't listen to any thing I wanted to say. I began to try and tell him the situation that preceded this whole thing, my engagement, etc. to show that her motive was revenge and wouldn't even let me talk. If I didn't have a higher opinion of the court, I would think that her very wealthy Grandfather must golf with this judge!

We wanted to appeal but were told it would cost $170 just to have them look at it and they may not even take it and that I lawyer would have to file it, and basically that it would cost more to appeal that the case was worth. But if we won, she would pay for that, wouldn't she? Besides, I would rather pay the court the money, than to her. I live in Wisconsin and was told that the Plaintiff cannot appeal anyways, but she was allowed to. I guess Wisconsin is the oddball state. Was this decision fair? Is there anything that I can do? If not, could I sue her for the $400 she never paid back?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

ALawyer

How much time, money and effort, not to mention anger and loss of focus, are you willing to put into this?

The matter is over. You should have won but you lost, probably because the judge did not believe you. Live with it. And consider yourself lucky that you are now finally done with such a miserable human being. It could have been a lot worse.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">