• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be concerned when told I have to go to an IME?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karla

I live in Washington State. My insurance company Safeco said it is there policy to have their insured attend an IME when there have been two auto accidents and I wasn't done treating for the 1st yet. I don't have a lawyer, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have one. My injuries aren't major they are more of an inconvenience with a little pain involved. I have an upper back and neck strain. The 1st accident was a yr. ago and I was hit in the front end. The 2nd accident was recent and I was rear ended.
Any advice would make me feel better. Thanks for your time!

------------------

C

cdcard

Dear karla:
It is not uncommon for insurance companies to have their insureds do an IME in this situation. Insurer is probably trying to figure out what part of your treatment should be pro-rated to your first accident and which part to your second accident (I assume you're still treating for both?). However, if you suspect your insurance company has other motives, don't be afraid to ask them why they want an IME. If you'd feel more comfortable talking to a personal injury lawyer before you do the IME, you can get a referrel from your local county bar association. And just because you talk to a lawyer doesn't mean you have to hire one; you can just pay for the consultation fee. If you decide to do an attorney consult, bring ALL your paperwork in from both your accidents for the attorney to review. If your insurance company does not have good cause to request an IME, you may have a bad faith action remedy available to you. A local PI attorney would be in a better position to advise you since he/she will be able to see your records. Best of luck to you, karla.
cdcard

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">