• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I delay amending tax return until I have received H1B visa?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
True, but I don't rely on software to do 1040NRs. I do them by hand and read the instructions every time, as I do not do enough of them to feel that I can do so accurately without reading the instructions. So, it would not hurt to go to someone who specializes in that sort of thing. A tax professional located near a major university would likely have that experience.
If that university has a significant number of foreign students attending it then I agree there is a likely a tax pro near it that does have that experience.

t74

Since OP mentions a potential H-1B, there are future tax filings to consider in addition to the immediate problems. OP should be wary of firms promoted on immigration forums and look for US qualified firms.

OP mentions being a student but may also have foreign tax considerations. No mention as to how the bills in the US were being paid; there could be taxable foreign income involved.

OP should be applauded for trying to figure out the income tax system that frustrates many of us.

LdiJ

Since OP mentions a potential H-1B, there are future tax filings to consider in addition to the immediate problems. OP should be wary of firms promoted on immigration forums and look for US qualified firms.
That was a bit confusing. Can you clarify what kinds of firms you are talking about? The tax pros here are talking about tax firms...and therefore firms that would automatically be US qualified firms.

OP mentions being a student but may also have foreign tax considerations. No mention as to how the bills in the US were being paid; there could be taxable foreign income involved.
Which would be irrelevant at this point, since the OP does not hold a green card.

OP should be applauded for trying to figure out the income tax system that frustrates many of us.
I cannot disagree with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">