• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i fight for my "running a stop sign" ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dcerda13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently got pulled over for running a stop sign 2 days ago and have to go to the municipal court here in town, my question is should i fight for it and can i?

The officer said i ran the stop sign at a 4 way high way intersection, which honestly it was more of a one second stop, then i went. As a truck pulled to a stop at the stop, i was a second behind catching up to it on the other side of the double lane. As the truck went after the stop, i stopped for a short second then i went. Stupid move by me because i know i did not have the right of way but i was side by side to the truck now as we drove. the officer was on my left on the intersection road so idk if he thinks i just ran it because it was a short stop, plus the truck was blocking me from his view maybe. So did he do right by giving me that ticket? idk if there is a ticket for not following the right of way rule but i feel like i should have gotten that or does this tie to the ticket he gave me? I just need advice, if my view is wrong and i have no chance of winning, i will not fight it and just pay.

FlyingRon

You need to stop at the stop line (or other point as defined by the law if there is no stop line). Just because you stopped behind another vehicle doesn't mean you're not obliged to stop again before entering the intersection.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Either you stopped or you didn't - apparently you didn't.

About 98% of the people I stop for stop sign violations insist they stopped when it is very clear to me that they did not. You can certainly fight the charge in court but it seems as though your chances of winning are small.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">