• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I give them the finger?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hugawagii

:confused: What is the name of your state? MT I work in the deli of a grocery store. I cut off the tip of my right index finger using the meat slicer. Family and friends are telling me to sue them for having faulty equipment. Also, to refuse to use the equipment until it's repaired. Doing so, I may lose my job-which I can't afford being that I'm a single mother of 3. What should I do? Do I even have a case?

tjr5150

hugawagii said:
:confused: What is the name of your state? MT I work in the deli of a grocery store. I cut off the tip of my right index finger using the meat slicer. Family and friends are telling me to sue them for having faulty equipment. Also, to refuse to use the equipment until it's repaired. Doing so, I may lose my job-which I can't afford being that I'm a single mother of 3. What should I do? Do I even have a case?
No, you can not sue your employer.. That is why they have insurance..
Here's a question for you.. How is the equipment faulty? I have used a slicer before, in previous jobs. To get your finger sliced you would have to put your finger near the blade, they also have gaurds. So is the machine faulty or the person running it? Either way you can't sue your employer.

hugawagii

There are no guards or handles on the slicer, in order to slice the slab of meat-you need to hold it with your hand...this has been mentioned to the employer before and nothing has been done.

Last edited:
S

shell007

hugawagii said:
There are no guards or handles on the slicer, in order to slice the slab of meat-you need to hold it with your hand...this has been mentioned to the employer before and nothing has been done.

My family owns a chain of Italian grocery stores, and I have sliced many of hams in my time. Although I do agree that when you first unwrap a new ham it will not fit within the blade and the handle to hold it, but one the ham (or whatever) gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller, and smaller.....THEN IT WILL FIT IN BETWEEN THE BLADE AND THE HANDLE.

Next time watch where you put your fingers....there's no excuse other than an ACCIDENT! OUCH!!!

Have you considered A worker's comp claim since it was on an on the job injury?:confused:

Last edited:

hugawagii

the weight that is supposed to hold the meat in place does not work. therefore you need to brace the meat with your finger on the slicer to prevent it from falling out. Worker's Comp. paid for the medical bills- isn't that all they're supposed to pay? I haven't missed work, as of yet, because of this accident.

Last edited:
S

shell007

hugawagii said:
the weight that is supposed to hold the meat in place does not work. therefore you need to brace the meat with your finger on the slicer to prevent it from falling out.

When the meat gets so small that your finger is close to the blade...
QUIT SLICING AND MAKE SOME HAM SALAD!

USMC1775

Any time you are injured on the job you should report the accident to the company. They in turn should report it to the insurance. You can file what is called a first report of injury to the Department of Labor and industry. Go to this web site http://erd.dli.mt.gov/ and you will see in the upper left hand corner of the site first report of injury.

F

fireboat1

the reality is this.you lost a piece of finger, what else are you losing. not even work,your medical is being paid for. if you cut your arm off because the boss stood over you threating you to cut meat ,you might have a case,even then it would be tough,cause you could have easily walked out after saying no. in a job related accident,to be awarded any type of settlement ,you need to have lost considerable function and inability to work at the level you were or less.you certainly dont want to sue your boss,lose your job,because some people think you can hit a jackpot in a w/c case.i hate to suggest this because you will probably be wasting an atty's time,but call a w/c atty. and run it by them.more than likly you will be told ,they wont take it as a case because there isnt one there.my reply is not in any way professional,but i have had a couple w/c cases and only share what i know. however,you may receive what are called impairment benefits, this is a miniscule amt. of money given to injured workers ,in some states to satisfy you troubles basically.dont expect a big check here, you might get the eqivilent of a week or 2 of pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">