• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I keep policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rckhenning

What is the name of your state?
il
I have a universal life policy that I borrowed all the cash value on. I filed bankruptcy and have no extra cash to continue paying for policy. the intrest due each year just eats up what the savings put in each year are. since i cant repay the loan, and the interest will keep eating away at the policy, should I just cancell the policy?? what options do i have?? I think it is a waste to continue with monthly payments when the interest due each year just takes away the cash value. what can I do to turn this around if not advisable to cancel the policy?

rckhenning

face value is 200,000
cash value is 18,127
loan balance is 15,947
surender value 2,179
interest this year 1,180

Betty

If you would pass away, the face amt. would be paid minus loan & interest. That would be quite an amt. of money for the beneficiary. However; if you have no extra cash to pay on pol. or on loan, you may have to choice but to cancel. Maybe you could take out a cheaper policy - such as term insurance. You might want to discuss your options with your ins. agt. before taking any action.

Betty

OP - re my info above, I might mention if you were to cancel (surrender) your current pol. & take out a new term policy, you would have to submit evidence of insurability & premiums would be at your current age. (though still less expensive unless you have a medical condition or something that would require a high prem.) Also, if you would request (if your co. allows it) a change (rather than a surrender) of your Univ. Life pol. to a term policy, you would also have to submit evidence of insurability since you are changing to a lower prem. plan & the co. is getting less money. Your agt. can tell you all about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">