• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I notify my son's school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bluelady

Illinois.

I've been divorced for about nine years. My son's father has never had an emergency yet he demands that I answer his phone calls immediately. He took to calling my babysitters. Even when my son was not with them simply to force them to force me to speak with him. Once again, these were never emergency situations. It isn't as if I was ignoring his calls. He never left me a message or gave me an opportunity to call him back. If I am unable to answer his calls immediately he promptly calls the babysitter demanding my attention. He would literally be calling them as I'm frantically trying to dial his number!

I recently hired a new babysitter. I did not give him her contact information and I do not allow them to have contact. I do all of the exchanges myself and require him to pick up my son only when I am present. Usually I do all of the drop offs and most pick ups as well.

My son was sick at school and the school asked me to pick him up. I kept him home the next day. His father knew he was sick, he took him to school in that condition. As it was not a scheduled visitation I did not inform his father that he was not at school. This has been the procedure from the beginning of my son's schooling and it is not in the parental agreement that I have to notify him. However this most recent time created an issue.

When my son mentioned he was sick, My son's father contacted my son's school privately and demanded to know when he was late or missing school. It was the school who notified me of this. They seemed alarmed. The only times my son is late is when it is his father dropping him off, the school is aware of this.

I believe that he is doing this so that he can do to the school what he was doing to the babysitter. In an email from the school they informed them that his request was against their policy. He responded by saying that he would simply call them everyday regarding my son's arrival time.

There have been several emails between him and the school over this. I did not contribute. I didn't see how that would help.

My question is should I schedule a meeting with the school to address this?

I don't even know what I should tell them. My son's father is not physically abusive he's just a bully.

Please advise.

Just Blue

Illinois.

I've been divorced for about nine years. My son's father has never had an emergency yet he demands that I answer his phone calls immediately. He took to calling my babysitters. Even when my son was not with them simply to force them to force me to speak with him. Once again, these were never emergency situations. It isn't as if I was ignoring his calls. He never left me a message or gave me an opportunity to call him back. If I am unable to answer his calls immediately he promptly calls the babysitter demanding my attention. He would literally be calling them as I'm frantically trying to dial his number!

I recently hired a new babysitter. I did not give him her contact information and I do not allow them to have contact. I do all of the exchanges myself and require him to pick up my son only when I am present. Usually I do all of the drop offs and most pick ups as well.

My son was sick at school and the school asked me to pick him up. I kept him home the next day. His father knew he was sick, he took him to school in that condition. As it was not a scheduled visitation I did not inform his father that he was not at school. This has been the procedure from the beginning of my son's schooling and it is not in the parental agreement that I have to notify him. However this most recent time created an issue.

When my son mentioned he was sick, My son's father contacted my son's school privately and demanded to know when he was late or missing school. It was the school who notified me of this. They seemed alarmed. The only times my son is late is when it is his father dropping him off, the school is aware of this.

I believe that he is doing this so that he can do to the school what he was doing to the babysitter. In an email from the school they informed them that his request was against their policy. He responded by saying that he would simply call them everyday regarding my son's arrival time.

There have been several emails between him and the school over this. I did not contribute. I didn't see how that would help.

My question is should I schedule a meeting with the school to address this?

I don't even know what I should tell them. My son's father is not physically abusive he's just a bully.

Please advise.
What does this situation have to do with Grandparents Rights? :confused:

RRevak

Let him call every day, that's his right.

Not necessarily. Dad calling every day to nicely say hey to kiddo is within his right. Dad calling every day in order to harass people who are in no way parties to the parents disagreements is absolutely not within his right. The school doesn't want to be involved unless there is a court order telling them they must be, and the baby sitters certainly aren't required to be involved. Him harassing the school every day (esp when they clearly told him they can't accommodate what he's asking) to know what time kiddo gets dropped off and picked up, on days that are not on his time, is going beyond "within his right".

Silverplum

Not necessarily. Dad calling every day to nicely say hey to kiddo is within his right. Dad calling every day in order to harass people who are in no way parties to the parents disagreements is absolutely not within his right. The school doesn't want to be involved unless there is a court order telling them they must be, and the baby sitters certainly aren't required to be involved. Him harassing the school every day (esp when they clearly told him they can't accommodate what he's asking) to know what time kiddo gets dropped off and picked up, on days that are not on his time, is going beyond "within his right".
But Dad's actions are not under Mom's control. We're talking to Mom here: let Dad do what he does. :cool:

RRevak

But Dad's actions are not under Mom's control. We're talking to Mom here: let Dad do what he does. :cool:
Except mom is here asking how she should handle dads behavior and telling her he's "within his right" to continue said behavior, when he's really not, isn't going to help her.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Except mom is here asking how she should handle dads behavior and telling her he's "within his right" to continue said behavior, when he's really not, isn't going to help her.
Two things:
1: He is within his rights to call the school on a daily basis (at this moment).
2: Why should the OP worry what dad does, particularly when she can't control it?

Indiana Filer

Two things:
1: He is within his rights to call the school on a daily basis (at this moment).
2: Why should the OP worry what dad does, particularly when she can't control it?
I know some schools that have had to have parents restrained legally from calling. That's on the school to do, not on the other parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">