• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I or my Living Trust be named as beneficiary in father's Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GrnPstrs

What is the name of your state? AZ

My father is in the process of writing his Will. He wants to include me and my brother as recipients of his possesions. My wife and I also have a Revokable Living Trust.

I have heard that I should ask my father to list my Trust, not me by name, as a beneficiary in his will. Is there any reason why I should (or should not!) ask my dad to do this? Are there tax implication that I should be aware of? The size of my dad's estate is around $250,000, mostly real estate.

Thank you very much for your attention.

gowest

I'm in the same situation. Never thought of having my parents name my revocable trust and not me as the beneficiary.

Hope someone can answer your question.

Dandy Don

These are specific questions that only a trust attorney or the trust department of a bank or an estate planning professional can answer and it would be worth it to consult them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">