• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I pay or let landlord evict ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kscott70

I leased a home near the end of September . I paid for the last two weeks of September and for October but because of a flea Infestation I have just moved in . I asked the landlord if he would not charge me for November because I had paid for a month and a half without being able to move in because of the fleas and was told pay or I'll evict you . Do I have any legal recourse if evicted if I don't pay .is there anything I can do about it ?

LindaP777

As Zigner says, what state - US Law only!

How has the flea infestation been resolved? When? How? And by whom?
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to have hired an exterminator, yourself, so you could live there 6 weeks ago? (I just hired an exterminator for a rental house and it was less than $200. It killed the fleas immediately, but they did a follow up two weeks later).
Shouldn't this issue have been settled in SEPTEMBER, prior to paying rent and signing a lease (assuming you signed a lease)?
Do you have legal recourse if you're evicted for not paying rent??? Not paying rent and being evicted is never the answer.
A lot more information is needed.

Kscott70

I leased a home near the end of September . I paid for the last two weeks of September and for October but because of a flea Infestation I have just moved in . I asked the landlord if he would not charge me for November because I had paid for a month and a half without being able to move in because of the fleas and was told pay or I'll evict you . Do I have any legal recourse if evicted if I don't pay .is there anything I can do about it ?
What US state?
Kentucky

Kscott70

I didn't know about the flea problem when I signed the lease . I wasn't going to pay out of pocket and the landlord wouldn't pay for one but bought some spray and I actually did the treatments . After spraying twice a week they are gone . I was in contact weekly with the landlord and he knew of the problem and I thought it was understood that the rent would start when the issue was resolved .

Gail in Georgia

Interestingly, the landlord also may not have been aware of the flea problem either if what we're talking about here are flea eggs. Initial spraying typically won't get the eggs but will get the hatchlings and any adults. Hopefully the product used contained a product that addressed the growth cycle ( known as IGR) to finally address the issue once and for all).

At any rate it is unfortunate that what you thought in regards to the rent doesn't seem to have been addressed or agreed upon with the landlord. If you don't pay and the landlord does file for an eviction because of this you will have your chance to argue your side of the case in court as it is the court that will decide whether the request for the eviction would be granted.

Gail

FarmerJ

So now you know what to expect from this landlord regarding repairs SO I suggest the next thing that needs repair and if the LL takes more than three- four days ( as long as its not critical such as heat in the winter or say a broken water or sewer line ) Then call your city building inspections desk and tell them you complained to the LL about X and the LL has not made a attempt to look at the broken _________ or fix it . and back up all communications with this landlord in written letters sent via confirmed mail delivery , keep a copy for your own records stapled to your postal receipt as If you were having to build a paper trail of complaints to show a judge some day .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">