• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I renew my green card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dantarantado

What is the name of your state? WA

I submitted my application for citizenship on April 2018. Biometrics was done on May 2018. I am still waiting to be called for an interview.
My green card expires on Sept. 2019, do I have to renew it? Or I'm good since I already submitted my application for citizenship?

LdiJ

As you were told before, if you might have to leave the US, you'd best have a new green card.
Or if you have to present ID for any purpose. In this day and age in the US its best to have a current green card, even if you are only months away from citizenship.

FlyingRon

Yep, the TSA won't take an expired one either, but as a LPR he probably has other acceptable IDs (like a driver's license).

LdiJ

Yep, the TSA won't take an expired one either, but as a LPR he probably has other acceptable IDs (like a driver's license).
Yes, but with the overzealous ICE personnel sometimes (and the fact that undocumented aliens end up with driver's licenses sometimes) I would NOT want to be without a valid, unexpired green card.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes, but with the overzealous ICE personnel sometimes (and the fact that undocumented aliens end up with driver's licenses sometimes) I would NOT want to be without a valid, unexpired green card.
As the RealID become effective and required to get by the security theater otherwise known as the TSA driver's licenses that comply are harder to get than a US Passport.

LdiJ

As the RealID become effective and required to get by the security theater otherwise known as the TSA driver's licenses that comply are harder to get than a US Passport.
But you do not HAVE to get one. If you are ok with not being able to fly, you are free to keep your regular license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">