• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my Landlord replace light bulbs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I just signed my first lease. I had electric service turned on for the apartment today and discovered half of the light bulbs burnt out. Should I request the landlord provide and replace these? I would be happy to replace light bulbs throughout the duration of my time living at the property. But having to replace half of them upon move in is a bit irratating.

LdiJ

I just signed my first lease. I had electric service turned on for the apartment today and discovered half of the light bulbs burnt out. Should I request the landlord provide and replace these? I would be happy to replace light bulbs throughout the duration of my time living at the property. But having to replace half of them upon move in is a bit irratating.
Making that request to the landlord would tend to start out the tenant landlord relationship on a bad footing, for something that is likely worth less than $10.00.

adjusterjack

I had electric service turned on for the apartment today and discovered half of the light bulbs burnt out.
You mean you didn't inspect the apartment before you moved in? And if you did, didn't you check to make sure everything was working?

Making that request to the landlord would tend to start out the tenant landlord relationship on a bad footing, for something that is likely worth less than $10.00.
Gotta agree with that. I'd be a little miffed if my tenant started off by nickel and diming me.

You can get a whole box of light bulbs at Home Depot for less than $10.

On the other hand, if there's a lot more wrong with the apartment than just light bulbs...

LdiJ

You mean you didn't inspect the apartment before you moved in? And if you did, didn't you check to make sure everything was working?

Gotta agree with that. I'd be a little miffed if my tenant started off by nickel and diming me.

On the other hand, if there's a lot more wrong with the apartment than just light bulbs...
Or, as Quincy hinted, if they were seriously specialty light bulbs that were very expensive. Although, an apartment is not going to use many light bulbs, expensive or not. A 1 bedroom, one bath is unlikely to use more than 10 at the most. Half of 10 is going to be 5. Even 5 expensive bulbs is not going to be much.

quincy

The cost depends on the light fixtures and the type of lightbulbs needed (e.g., globes), and the ease of replacement can depend on the location of the bulbs (e.g., cathedral ceilings) ...

... not that lightbulbs are something a landlord generally is responsible for replacing in most apartments.

LdiJ

The cost depends on the light fixtures and the type of lightbulbs needed (e.g., globes), and the ease of replacement can depend on the location of the bulbs (e.g., cathedral ceilings) ...

... not that lightbulbs are something a landlord generally is responsible for replacing in most apartments.
True, but one isn't going to see many apartments with cathedral ceilings. In that instance, I probably would consider it appropriate to at least ask the landlord for assistance. The landlord would likely have the necessary ladders etc.

quincy

True, but one isn't going to see many apartments with cathedral ceilings. In that instance, I probably would consider it appropriate to at least ask the landlord for assistance. The landlord would likely have the necessary ladders etc.
One reason I mentioned location of bulbs is that we have one building that was converted to loft apartments and the ceilings in a couple of the apartments are 25' high. An extension ladder is needed to change the ceiling track lighting. We don't really expect our tenants to replace those bulbs.

But our rental houses just have standard fixtures and use standard bulbs. I suppose we would replace bulbs if asked ... but it's never come up.

The power was turned off when I viewed the apartment, so I had no way of knowing the bulbs were out. And making a request this early in my tenancy is my concern too. Thanks

LdiJ

The power was turned off when I viewed the apartment, so I had no way of knowing the bulbs were out. And making a request this early in my tenancy is my concern too. Thanks
That would definitely indicate a miserly landlord. Being cheap enough to show the apartment without any power is pretty miserly. If you asked him to change the lightbulbs it probably would not go over well. Don't do anything until you are certain that there isn't anything else wrong with the apartment.

quincy

It's not necessarily miserly. Electric service is switched out of a tenant's name when they move. Although I would say most landlords will keep the service on, in their name, to prevent (for example) mold growing in refrigerators and for showing the unit, with rapid turnovers this might not be a concern.

Flood lights are more expensive than standard bulbs so you have reason to be upset that burned out bulbs were not replaced before the start of your tenancy.

It is up to you to decide whether to ask your landlord for bulbs. This is not really a legal issue.

FlyingRon

When not specified in the lease, there's often a local practice as to what does and doesn't go with the unit. For example, in NJ unless specified otherwise, you never got a refrigerator in the kitchen whereas down south, you'd never find a unit that didn't come with one.

Anyhow, bulbs were always the tenants responsibility no matter where I lived. Technically, I suppose the previous tenant could take his bulbs with him, but I'm not sure I ever encountered someone that petty. I left the remainder of the toilet paper rolls in the bathroom as well.

Gail in Georgia

I've had tenants pack up all MY light bulbs when they've moved...so many times it's become a runny joke on some of the landlord forums I'm on (it's like "we're moving! Pack up the bulbs first!")

On the other hand, I've had a number of tenants who appear not to be able to figure out how to change a burned out light bulb (and we're not talking about fixtures that are so high they need a ladder to change the bulb). It's gotten to the point where, if I have to do a repair on a place, I bring my own bulbs (and leave them, of course) just to see enough to do the repair. Or, perhaps the fact that a three bulb fixture only has one working bulb leads an air of "romance" to the place?

At any rate, if the burned out bulbs include flood lights, the OP can always ask if the landlord has extra since these are more expensive than regular bulbs. If refused, these are easily available at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">