• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should the dealership tell me the car has hail damaged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ran_Bi

I bought a Ford Explorer early in April from Ford dealership in Texas. It is a used one. When I bought the car, I was NOT told that this car is hail damaged and did NOT see any hail damaged sale signs or tags on the car. When I washed my car today, I found the car has hail damaged. There are 16 dents on the roof.

I did not check the roof when I bought it, but I think all customers have the rights to know what happened to this car and what kind of condition this car is in right now, even though it is a used one. They should tell customers this car still has some hail damages that have not been fixed yet. What I heard on that day are that this car is in perfect condition again and again. I think they fixed the dents on the hood and body where people can easily see. They left the damages on the roof because Ford Explorer is a large SUV and generally customers are not tall enough to see the roof of that car.

I want you guys to give me some suggestions about the following questions:

1. Is the dealership legal to not report the hail damages condition to their customers and hide them on the roof of the car?

2. I checked the carfax report that the dealership gave me on that day, it was not showing hail damaged. Is the dealership legal to not report this to car insurance company?

Thank you so much!

FlyingRon

Sorry, it's on you to look at the roof of a car if you want to see if it has damage, even if it's an SUV or van.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Carfax is hardly a definitive source of information. If you purchase a used vehicle, even from a dealership, it is incumbent upon YOU to have it inspected - preferably by a mechanic you trust.

FlyingRon

Carfax would only show if there had been a title action or a reported repair.
Unrepaired damage isn't going to show on Carfax. They're not clairvoyant. They don't know the car got hit by hailstones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">