• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we or shouldn't we

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3westiebabies

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I am trying very hard to get all of my ducks in order.
I am going to be filing for SSDI. Once I do that I understand that it takes at least 6 months for anything to kick in, assuming I don't get a reject. Then god only knows how long it will take. Currently my husband and I are scraping by - just. Once I apply and will be without an income for half a year plus we are going to go down and fast. There is no way I could even begin to start providing an emergency fund for these upcoming 6 months. Also, once accepted (if I am) I won't be bringing in the kind of money I do now. I take home a little over $3,000 a month right now with my work salary. I won't make even close to that on disability. So even then whatever I get is just not going to be enough.
We are thinking of applying for bankruptcy. I know all of the bad ramifications but I also know the good. We filed for bankruptcy many years ago and managed to work our way back and even buy a home. The most important thing to me is not losing our home. They can take our furniture and toys and even my old car if they want it but I simply can not bear the thought of losing our home. I have cancer and this home will be all my husband has left if something were to happen to me. I could never die in peace knowing that husband is going to end up homeless. Right now I have to say that keeping our home is almost more important to me then getting well. So, there is the question. If we filed for bankruptcy it would eliminate all of the credit card bills and allllllllll of the ever mounting medical bills and would certainly help us to get by once our income drops. Again, I do know that working things out is certainly preferable but sometimes even that isn't an option.
Suggestions?

bigun

It is 8 years between Chapter 7 bk filings now.
How much equity is in the home and how much does Pa. allow you to exempt wil be the big question?
See a few bk lawyers. Most give free or low cost intial consultations.

RuGa

to be or not to be...

While true that Chapter 7 BK's can only be filed every 8 years now, you can file for a Chapter 13! Talk to a BK Attorney and they'll let you know the best way to go.
Most Attorneys will give a free consultation and then will want their "fee" up-front (a good one will charge around $1200.00).
If your situatio is as dire as you state, then go for it!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">