• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shouldn't we all have the same rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions104729

I am wondering why the United Nations have put into action the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The majority of these Acts just restate the rights that Indigenous peoples already have. However, even by doing that, you're forging a barrier in between people of different ethnic origins, saying that they deserve more of a right to freedom and security than their neighbour should. As well, arguing for the different treatment of indigenous peoples is just different type of discrimination- whether that differential treatment is against, or in, their favour. It isn't right to excuse indigenous people from the same structures of law, just because their ancestors may have been oppressed. Many people were oppressed in history. But that's what it should be-history. We can decide whether or not to forge a new path, or just change the positions of the players. As a person once said, "we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes a Canadian and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin." If indigenous First Nations cease to exist, we wouldn't be dealing with an epidemic of such extreme poverty. History is meant to belong in the past. Please explain this confusing situation to me.

Last edited:

commentator

One problem that many people have is that they lack a really clear picture of exactly what rights and protections they DO have. They labor under the delusion that others have more than they, or that they are somehow entitled to, but have not been given some privilege or protection that they've assumed they were supposed to receive. Ignorance is not bliss. There is also a perception that some other "non native" or not- like-me group or individual is actually getting more rights, or taking away from my rights or privileges as a citizen, employee, fellow traveler around the sun. Self-education would help but is not likely to occur.

quincy

Are you in the US, Questions104729?

Is your question referring to the US or worldwide?

Is there a specific legal issue you want addressed or are you looking for a general discussion?

Questions104729

Are you in the US, Questions104729?

Is your question referring to the US or worldwide?

Is there a specific legal issue you want addressed or are you looking for a general discussion?
My question is in reference to worldwide issues. See above for details on the specific issue I wish to address.

Just Blue

I am wondering why the United Nations have put into action the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. The majority of these Acts just restate the rights that Indigenous peoples already have. However, even by doing that, you're forging a barrier in between people of different ethnic origins, saying that they deserve more of a right to freedom and security than their neighbour should. As well, arguing for the different treatment of indigenous peoples is just different type of discrimination- whether that differential treatment is against, or in, their favour. It isn't right to excuse indigenous people from the same structures of law, just because their ancestors may have been oppressed. Many people were oppressed in history. But that's what it should be-history. We can decide whether or not to forge a new path, or just change the positions of the players. As a person once said, "we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes a Canadian and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin." If indigenous First Nations cease to exist, we wouldn't be dealing with an epidemic of such extreme poverty. History is meant to belong in the past. Please explain this confusing situation to me.
This has nothing to do with U.S. Law ...

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am wondering why the United Nations have put into action the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Because the member states that voted for it thought it was a humanitarian thing to do. But understand that the extent to which United Nations (U.N.) declarations are actually implemented is up to each country to decide. The U.N. has no power to dictate to nations what to do.

In some nations the plight of indigenous peoples has been such that they have never been fully integrated into the countries in which they now reside because of centuries of discrimination and sometimes outright oppression against them. The U.S., Canada, and Australia notably are nations that fall into that category. For that reason there are efforts to give those persons more control over their own lives rather than continuing to be subject to the discriminatory treatment they had been given. There is certainly room for debate on the best way to aid these peoples to give them the freedom and opportunity that the rest of the nations they are in enjoy, but simply leaving things at the status quo was leaving them oppressed and poor. The U.S., Canada and Australia have all made improvements in the their treatment of these populations but still have a long way to go.

You are wrong in asserting that simply making these populations go away would solve the poverty problem. If you had any real understanding of poverty you would know that it is not just indigenous peoples that suffer being poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">