• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sibling Harassment/Escalated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

If I hire a lawyer to represent me will they speak for me? Could they represent me without me being there?

I apologize if this seems obvious. I have never been in court.

Also, I know what to bring proof wise, but is it completely unwise to bring up things I cannot necessarily prove? For instance, if she has threatened and mocked me in person knowing we were alone. Will judges take that into consideration or is it a waste of time to mention?

Thank you for your time.
You can have an attorney with you in court - and it can be a good idea to have one. An attorney could speak for you but, perhaps more importantly, an attorney can help insulate you from any potential verbal assaults lodged at you by your sister during the hearing.

In other words, the attorney can help to keep the emotions out of the proceeding and help you concentrate on the facts that support the issuance of an order. You otherwise might be tempted to or taunted into responding directly to your sister. You will want to control this natural instinct. You should only address the judge.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">