• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Siblings and estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HemiMG

What is the name of your state? Virginia
Hi, Both of my parents are deceased. My father died most recently and when he did me and my sister split the money 50/50 until one insurance policy required us to open an estate. $4400 went into that estate.
My sister, her husband, her baby and I all live in my parents house. The problem is my sister took half of the money (over $30,000) and blew it. For the past 8 months she has refused to help me with the bills. I've spent $12,000 on house repairs, house payments, cable, etc and she hasn't spent a dime. The estate was opened relatively recently and I wrote $2600 worth of checks (there was $4400 in there remember) and one of them bounced becuase my sister pissed the money away. She still hasn't helped with the bills, I just told her she was going to have to start paying half of all of them and she refused, saying all she would pay for is half of the cable, and only then because I had her box turned off.
Do I have to continue supporting my sister because this is our parents house? I don't think it's fair that she gets the benefit of the house I get all the bills. She even writes her name on the food she buys so I don't eat it! I'm sick of supporting her and her husband while they blow their money. Any legal recourse I have regardless of how harsh would be welcomed. It's time my sister grew up and learned that life isn't about free rides. I should probaby add that their was no will. I was going to qualify on the estate alone but the county clerk said it was less red tape if all surviving relative s did it. I just had no idea she planned on screwing me over like this.

Last edited:

ALawyer

It sounds as if it is time to the equivalent of "getting a divorce" from your sister. Both of you can't live there under these terms and conditions.

See a lawyer. What likely will happen is that either the house will have to be sold, and each of of you can split the proceeds and move on, or one of you could also buy half of the house from the other at about 50% of the fair market value less 1/2 real estate broker commissions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">