• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got a question regarding if you become sick can the employer for each sick day remove a day of your vacation?

swalsh411

So you're saying that you get X number of days of sick leave and X of vacation but every time you take a sick day you also lose a day of vacation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ah, good point. I read it to mean that vacation time was being used to cover the sick day, not that he was being required to burn a day of each.

OP, which is it?

zing

it just means if i get sick and takes 2 days or i get told to go home for 2 days then i lose 2 days of vacation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So the question is, is it legal to require you to use vacation days when you are sick?

If that is the question, then my first answer stands. Yes, it is legal.

swalsh411

What I'm getting is that the OP doesn't get paid sick time, only paid vacation time, and the employer is making him use it. There is no law that says an employer cannot make you use your paid leave (any kind of paid leave) at their discretion. In other words you don't have any right to "save" it and take time off without pay if the policy is that you must use your vacation time if you are off.

FlyingRon

I've certainly work jobs that work both ways. Jobs where you have sick leave and other leave and they are used and accrued independently. I've also worked places that typically have short term disability plans. You get no sick leave (sometimes you get a little more regular leave). You use your regular leave for illnesses under some threshold before the disability kicks in.

ecmst12

Then....your question makes no sense whatsoever.

But if you are a non-exempt employee, you never have to be paid for ANY time that you do not work, regardless of whether it is because you were sick, on vacation, or the office is closed for a holiday.

eerelations

I think the OP is saying is that he's allowed to take up to X days' unpaid vacation per year but if he takes an unpaid sick day he then gets only up to X-1 days' unpaid vacation that year.

And that's perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">