• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sick time off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCEO

I was sick for 3 days and now my company wants a Dr's note. I did not go to the doctor. Just tayed home sick and took over the counter medicine. I have a friend that is a nurse and she just told me what to get. What should I do? Employer wants a Dr. Note.What is the name of your state? California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CCEO What should I do?[/QUOTE said:
My response:

"What should I do?" isn't a "legal question". We can't lead your life. However, with that said, it appears you're not long for this company. Get your resume' updated.

IAAL

pattytx

Yep, you can't turn in something you don't have. If you didn't know about this requirement (and had no reason to know), you can plead your case with HR if you are concerned about getting paid for your sick time. However, if you were expected to know about the policy, for example, if it was in the employee handbook that you received, you probably won't win this one.

This is a very common requirement in companies. IMHO, it's stupid for a 3-day absence, but it is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">