• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Comey.combs2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

sick time is offered by my employer as one of my benefits which i accrue im in the union I would like to know is their any law or advice . When we use our sick time we are coach an counseled for it is that legal since it is offered as one of the benefits we earn and would it be considered harassment when we take this time and we are told not to use it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I cannot answer as to your union contract. I can answer as to the law.

As far as the law is concerned, even if sick time is offered as a benefit there is nothing illegal to counsel you on your use of it or even write you up if the employer believes you are abusing the benefit. Doing so is not considered harassment. ONLY if you, your employer, and the medical condition all qualify under FMLA does taking sick time offer you any protections.

If you believe that your contract offers you additional protections over and above FMLA, then I agree with JAL that you need to be talking to your union rep. The LAW is not being violated. We cannot tell from here if your contract is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">