• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign on bonus not paid!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scottg418

What is the name of your state?NY
I was hired by a company offering, an sign on bonus. When it came time for my bonus they told me I had to wait until my employment file had to be reviewed. In no way did the wording of the bonus say it was up for review. So I approached my union about it they are still talking with them. I’ve tried talking to the owner and HR no response. Then the other day I received a letter in the mail from my employer that do to time missed ( which I have doctors notes and court papers for) and work performance one warning for something I couldn’t not have known. That my bonus would be revised in 2 months. If I refuse to work until I am paid my bonus and they fire me can I receive unemployment. I am also seeking misrepresentation filings with the labor board

eerelations

Do you have an actual written contract with your employer that specifically states that you will be paid X amount if you start work on Y date?

eerelations

And no, if you refuse to work until you get your sign-on bonus (even if you have an actual written contract with your employer that specifically states that you will be paid X amount if you start work on Y date), and you get fired, you probably won't be entitled to UI benefits.

Scottg418

And no, if you refuse to work until you get your sign-on bonus (even if you have an actual written contract with your employer that specifically states that you will be paid X amount if you start work on Y date), and you get fired, you probably won't be entitled to UI benefits.
Do you have an actual written contract with your employer that specifically states that you will be paid X amount if you start work on Y date?
No dates but it does say at 6 months you will receive x amount and 1 year the remainder amount

But did the written contract have caveats against you taking sick/court leave, or receiving warnings for poor work performance?

Scottg418

But did the written contract have caveats against you taking sick/court leave, or receiving warnings for poor work performance?
No it was 4 lines
It said 6 months you get x amount and at 12 months the remainder
The only other thing it read was an example
If you with the company for 8 months and leave the company you qualify for the first bonus but don’t qualify for the second

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is it an actual CONTRACT? Or is it an offer letter?

An offer letter is an agreement. A contract is an agreement. But where all contracts are agreements, not all agreements are contract.

Scottg418

Is it an actual CONTRACT? Or is it an offer letter?

An offer letter is an agreement. A contract is an agreement. But where all contracts are agreements, not all agreements are contract.
It’s an offer with employment. During interview. It is on the company application. They even sent a company memo for new employees for the incentive. The person who does the hiring even said I was hired after they introduced the bonus and o fit the time frame.

commentator

If you are meaning if you go home with the ultimatum that you're not going to come back till you are......anything except paid at least minimum wage for the hours you work, it will be considered a voluntary quit for unemployment benefits purposes. Very hard to get approved in those circumstances. By no means going to happen quickly if ever. But if you have a union, they should be the ones you are working with, while still working, to get this paid.

Dandy Don

What type of company is this? Is it a small business? How many employees do they have?

How long have you worked there? How much would the bonus be and how is it calculated?

Mass_Shyster

I had an employer who said they never agreed to an increase after six months. They begrudgingly gave it to me. The next time they went back on their word, I walked out and refused to return after they offered the previously promised increase plus more.

When I give my word, I mean it. When someone gives me their word, I accept it. When someone goes back on their word, I may forgive it as an error in judgment. Do it twice and I'll never trust you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">